Gibson Brands Forums

Having ground wire problems, please help

Mr. E

I been trying to wire my guitar but everytime I do it I get hum (especially when I touch the pickup). The pickup is a Mean 90... I dont think it is the pickup cause I wired a old humbucker and I still get it. Can anyone please help me?

I am getting tired of it.

Thanks

hmmmmmmmmm............is it the 60 hz. hum that almost all single coil p'ups produce?

is the "Mean 90" a true single coil p'up? (not familiar w/them)

if this is the case, putting your 3 way in the middle position may be the only fix.(are you using a pair of 90's?)

If not, then what kind of amp are you using, and what else is on the electrical loop it draws its power from?

some amps (Marshalls in particular) produce a terrible "ground loop" hum.....and any other appliance, or flourescent

fixture on that circuit can compound the problem.

Try another wallplug...............and/or try a "2 prong grounding adapter" but use care to not ground yourself while playing.

There are also several noisegate/hum cancelling products on the market.

Good luck, and let us know what solves it.

hmmmmmmmmm............is it the 60 hz. hum that almost all single coil p'ups produce?

if this is the case' date=' putting your 3 way in the middle position may be the only fix.(are you using a pair of 90's?)[/quote']

The Mean 90 is a P 90 in humbucker form in order to mount on humbucker routes. I dont think it is the pickup but something else.

Mr.E,

Without looking at it the best any of us can do is guess.

What model guitar? Single or dual pickup?

Any chance it is a cold solder joint on a ground wire? (bad connection)

Could you have mixed up a wire?

I know this isn't much help but they are things to think about.

Has your jack or toggle switch been going bad lately? The trouble with things like this is that anything in the circut could have been disturbed enough to cause a faulty ground.

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter? It might help.

Mr.E' date='

Without looking at it the best any of us can do is guess.

What model guitar? Single or dual pickup?

Any chance it is a cold solder joint on a ground wire? (bad connection)

Could you have mixed up a wire?

I know this isn't much help but they are things to think about.

Has your jack or toggle switch been going bad lately? The trouble with things like this is that anything in the circut could have been disturbed enough to cause a faulty ground. [/quote']

Model: Cheap Epiphone Junior

Pickup: Mean 90 (single pickup, p 90)

I replaced the ground wire that runs from the jack to the back of the pot with some wire I bought at a store. The jack is also the one the guitar came with.

if this is the case' date=' putting your 3 way in the middle position may be the only fix.(are you using a pair of 90's?)

If not, then what kind of amp are you using, and what else is on the electrical loop it draws its power from?

some amps (Marshalls in particular) produce a terrible "ground loop" hum.....and any other appliance, or flourescent

fixture on that circuit can compound the problem.

Try another wallplug...............and/or try a "2 prong grounding adapter" but use care to not ground yourself while playing.

There are also several noisegate/hum cancelling products on the market.

Good luck, and let us know what solves it.[/quote']

Amp I'm using is a Vox Valvetronix AD50. I don't have anything plugged in besides that. I'll also try different wallplugs.

Thanks

Archived