Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Help

rhcpfan2011

Hi i have a F*nder Frontman 212r amplifier, and i would like a little bit of help with setting it up. I am used to playing with a multi effect pedal, and I am not to good at setting up eq's.

I really want a nice metal distortion that isn't muddy, as of right now i have lows at 10 mids at 5 and highs at 4. I have the top 3 strings (E,A, and D) down nice and bassy but still clear but my next three (A,D, and G) are way too trebly for my taste, if you could help me at all that would be great thanks guys

I already posted this in amps, but there's hardly anyone in there so hopefully i will get a fast response here

That, my friend, is nearly impossible to do, from a Forum. 1) "your tone" is so personal, we wouldn't know exactly what

you want. 2)...without hearing it, ourselves, it's hard to tell you what sounds good, even to US! On top of which, we have

no idea what pedal board or individual pedals you use, and how it/they might be set up! So...all I can tell you, is to take

the time, to experiment, and find what works for you. There's really no "short cut," that way. It's really the only way to

arrive at "your" tone, anyway. Just keep notes, on what you set, and what the results are, so once you find what you're

after, you can repeat it!

CB

Ah ok then thank you for pointing that out i was just curious if anyone knew what some eq settings would come close or some advice on setting up eq's. I also am just running straight through the amp no effect pedals at this point. I have been experimenting a little and have a little bit more and getting closer to a nice tone but just not there yet which is extremely upsetting :(

I use my epi valve junior and a ultra metal pedal UM300 (Behringer) for metal tones. After help from on here i set the eq like this, Low end up as high as the speaker can handle the bass then No mids then adjust the high to suit afters

I am playing metallica type stuff and was told on here the best way to achieve that sound is to scoop the mids right out.

Remember if your treble is to much try rolling the tone control back on your guitar :(/

Ah ok then thank you for pointing that out i was just curious if anyone knew what some eq settings would come close or some advice on setting up eq's. I also am just running straight through the amp no effect pedals at this point. I have been experimenting a little and have a little bit more and getting closer to a nice tone but just not there yet which is extremely upsetting :(

Oh, it's ok. I don't really play "Metal," anyway....I guess the closest I ever got to that

was "Led Zep", and the original "Deep Purple," back in the '60's. And, that was (mostly)

a fully cranked tube amp, and your guitar! lol! There are a fair amount of "Metal" players

here, that will probably contribute some good information. Mrjones, and Bender already have...a bit.

Hang in there! You'll find it!

CB

EQ settings for metal? let me think. providing your meaning bass and treble and not actual frequencies, i cant help you. i deal with metal bands every day and they nearly all make the horrendous mistake of putting treble on 10, gain on 10, bass on 0 and mid on 0. you end up with NO tone really.

My advice is to put the mid on 5, gain on 7, bass on 6-7 (Depending if your using a guitar with alot of beef to it, such as a les paul) and treble on 7-8. this will give you a mean crisp distortion which should make your metallica sound.

however im not familiar with your amp, but this works fine on most amps with the high gain channel on. try it.

Archived