Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone DOT pickups better now?

mrbreeze

Does anyone know if the pickups on the current DOT guitars are better than previous years??

Someone told me they use Gibsons now...compared to years back they used some low output Korean pups. Im in the market for a DOT. I found a 1992 model at a good price. But,,may just as well get the newer models if the pups have improved. THANKS.

welcome to the forum!!!!

I recently did some mods on my dot and discovered on the back of the pickups the label 57. Not sure if this is epi's version of the gibson 57 classics. Maybe some other folks can assist on that. But, they sound very nice to me and i do not plan on upgrading them yet. I hope this info helps or at least gets some other to post their knowledge.

Interesting....I have not heard that. (That they use "Gibson" pickups, now?) What was your source? Credible, or

someone's "wishful thinking?" It IS quite possible they are using more consistent/better components, that might be

supplied by Gibson??? But, in lieu of any real information, from Gibson/Epiphone...it's pure speculation, on my part.

I don't think, at that price point, they'd do that...but, who knows? They're probably just "Gibson designed" and

made in China, either at Qingdao, or some facility that they contract out. I do know (from my own experience)

that the P-90's, in my made in China Riviera P-93LE are awesome! I have no complaint, what so ever, with those

particular pickups. So...who knows, maybe the humbuckers will be/are improved, too?

CB

Thanks for the info. A guy at work told me,,,said he saw it in a review of the Dot at Harmony Central. The probably meant Gibson designed.

Im just curious as Im itching to get a DOT again. Sold mine couple years back on ebay.

I see the prices going around $250-300 for used ones in good shape in ebay all week. Debating to go the 100 bucks more for new.

thanks for the welcome wardog. I was here at forum years ago. 2000-2003 or so. Owner of Epi SG/Flying V. Lost my password/user name and had to start over. Feel like a newbie.:)

Love my Black Dot! But, your input jack will fall into your guitar in no time at all!!! Seriously!!! Nothing a long shaft Allparts replacement won't fix, bus still a pain. On the pups, my neck is absolutely wonderful, the bridge is MUCH weaker. Got mine from MF, a b-stock, the only problem I saw was a thin line of red paint on the the back binding.

Archived