Gibson Brands Forums

vjr 6v6 mod + bitmo?

i was just curious if the "tweaky" and "trio" bitmo mods would work with the 6v6 mod included in this kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260352409372&Category=43375&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

i don't have a valve jr., I'm just on a quest for knowledge... i guess....

(and i won't really want a valve senior if i can do the bitmo mods and mercury mods...)

Well if you truly are on a quest for knowledge forget the MM Way, Way overpriced hardware and the bitmo kits and go to SEwatt.com and do some research. You can build exactly what you want(like a 6v6 Champ Beast for example)for A LOT LESS $ and there are a great group of helpful people there as well. Just my $.02.

Well if you truly are on a quest for knowledge forget the MM Way' date=' Way overpriced hardware and the bitmo kits and go to SEwatt.com and do some research. You can build exactly what you want(like a 6v6 Champ Beast for example)for A LOT LESS $ and there are a great group of helpful people there as well. Just my $.02.[/quote']ah. well, i guess i'll have to take a look...

I'd love to try MM sometime for something. Their iron seems to be of very high quality. Priced high, yes, but maybe they're doing something right that makes them worth more? I honestly can't say that I've ever talked with anyone who's familiar with various brands of iron and has tried MM to compare.

I personally feel that they'd have been better off pricing that Vjr kit at a more attractive price point, to reach a more mass appeal, rather than pricing it as an elitist option. I think, had I been at the helm, I'd have opted to use that kit as a loss leader (speaking figuratively, not literally), to give large swaths of people a chance to sample their wares. How much more of the bigger transformers might they have sold, had this kit become "the standard" upgrade package for the Vjr.?

I'd love to try MM sometime for something. Their iron seems to be of very high quality. Priced high' date=' yes, but maybe they're doing something right that makes them worth more? I honestly can't say that I've ever talked with anyone who's familiar with various brands of iron and has tried MM to compare.

I personally feel that they'd have been better off pricing that Vjr kit at a more attractive price point, to reach a more mass appeal, rather than pricing it as an elitist option. I think, had I been at the helm, I'd have opted to use that kit as a loss leader (speaking figuratively, not literally), to give large swaths of people a chance to sample their wares. How much more of the bigger transformers might they have sold, had this kit become "the standard" upgrade package for the Vjr.? [/quote']

I have had their iron in a 50 watt marshall plexi and it's top shelf stuff...but when we are talking about a valve jr and $50 for a hammond OT vs $300 for their kit that's a Big difference in a $140 amp IMHO.

I have had their iron in a 50 watt marshall plexi and it's top shelf stuff...but when we are talking about a valve jr and $50 for a hammond OT vs $300 for their kit that's a Big difference in a $140 amp IMHO.

where would you place the hammond OT against the mercury magnetics stuff?

(of course' date=' for that much of a difference in price, even if the hammond was not as good, it's still more worth it...)

but let's say if someone had money to burn (ha! in this economy? with this [new'] president? no way in hell!)

which should they get?

The Hammond 125 DSE or ESE, Musical Power Supplies (MPS) OT10SE and there are several by EDCOR that are also comparable. Not to mention Heyboer . For my money MPS is the best bang for the buck. EDCOR the least expensive, then MPS, Hammond and Heyboer are about the same depending on where you get them. Weber even has an OT that is in this range of quality and price. Nothing against MM but if you are going to put that kind of money in a VJr you might as well put your money to a complete gut and rebuild into something really nice with a 6V6,6L6 EL34 or one of the KTs...66,77 or 88. Or even better a parallel SE amp using the EL84 plus one of those tubes mentioned. Oh, and still not spend what the MM costs and you will have a whole lot more amp. Just my 1 cents worth...times are hard.

The Hammond 125 DSE or ESE' date=' Musical Power Supplies (MPS) OT10SE and there are several by EDCOR that are also comparable. Not to mention Heyboer . For my money MPS is the best bang for the buck. EDCOR the least expensive, then MPS, Hammond and Heyboer are about the same depending on where you get them. Weber even has an OT that is in this range of quality and price. Nothing against MM but if you are going to put that kind of money in a VJr you might as well put your money to a complete gut and rebuild into something really nice with a 6V6,6L6 EL34 or one of the KTs...66,77 or 88. Or even better a parallel SE amp using the EL84 plus one of those tubes mentioned. Oh, and still not spend what the MM costs and you will have a whole lot more amp. Just my 1 cents worth...times are hard.[/quote']

i think that would be it... i just need to buy an amp in the first place =D> (unless i could gut my SS amp and build something... may or may not be worth looking into... i'd need an OT with 2 output, 1 8ohm... hmm... could i re-wire the dsp reverb knob to a spring reverb tank?

then there's the channel switching... and the dsp flange/chorus/delay... maybe it would not be worth my time after all... too much to screw up, and there's always Murphy's law...

i'm not sure if it could cause problems, but FET transistors can detect very small amounts of static... you can actually stick one on a 9v battery with an led and a resistor to make a static detector... good soldering practice for beginners due to the relatively low price of components and the simplicity...

and the whole thing about gutting the solid state amp was a joke, i'd never really consider it. (yet.)

Archived