Gibson Brands Forums

OT - Chet Atkins

davidg3333

for a while im not sure if he still does... but he did have a Phd of the guitar im sure it was self proclamed ( sp )

meh.. i could be wrong i did a lil lookin on the net.. and didnt find anything on it but i only looked for like 5 mins.. lol

edit number 2...

found this.. ( this post is gettin slly.. )

Chicago Sun-Times

Chet Atkins stamps himself as guitar hero // `Country Gentleman' wears award proudly

From: Chicago Sun-Times | Date: July 15, 1990| Author: Mark Ruffin | Copyright (null) Chicago Sun-Times. Provided by ProQuest LLC. (Hide copyright information) Copyright information

There have been many accolades bestowed upon guitarist Chet Atkins in his 50-year career. The most visible one is the award he gave himself.

"I couldn't get a Ph.D., so I gave myself a C.G.P. (Certified Guitar Player)," he said by phone from his Nashville, Tenn., office. "I thought I'd been playing long enough and I just thought it was a clever little thing."

Probably the happiest day of my guitar playing life was when I really felt I had "Travis Picking" down. (Of course I learned it by way of John Lennon, but I always think of the master when I play.)

Odd thing since learning Travis picking is that now when I pick up any guitar, the first thing I do is start Travis picking. My natural instinct to strum or play some wicked guitar lick on a guitar has been reprogrammed to do some Travis picking.

for a while im not sure if he still does... but he did have a Phd of the guitar im sure it was self proclamed ( sp )

meh.. i could be wrong i did a lil lookin on the net.. and didnt find anything on it but i only looked for like 5 mins.. lol

edit number 2...

found this.. ( this post is gettin slly.. )

Chicago Sun-Times

Chet Atkins stamps himself as guitar hero // `Country Gentleman' wears award proudly

From: Chicago Sun-Times | Date: July 15' date=' 1990| Author: Mark Ruffin | Copyright (null) Chicago Sun-Times. Provided by ProQuest LLC. (Hide copyright information) Copyright information

There have been many accolades bestowed upon guitarist Chet Atkins in his 50-year career. The most visible one is the award he gave himself.

"I couldn't get a Ph.D., so I gave myself a C.G.P. (Certified Guitar Player)," he said by phone from his Nashville, Tenn., office. "I thought I'd been playing long enough and I just thought it was a clever little thing." [/quote']

My dad has been following Chet since the 40's when he played with the Carter family and I have been following him since the 60's...We pretty much have every record Chet has made...Maybe this video will explain it for you a little better...

Mr Guitar

Mr Guitar 2

Probably the happiest day of my guitar playing life was when I really felt I had "Travis Picking" down. (Of course I learned it by way of John Lennon' date=' but I always think of the master when I play.)

Odd thing since learning Travis picking is that now when I pick up any guitar, the first thing I do is start Travis picking. My natural instinct to strum or play some wicked guitar lick on a guitar has been reprogrammed to do some Travis picking.[/quote']

Merle Travis is the father of fingerstyle guitar playing...

Merle Travis here

My dad has been following Chet since the 40's when he played with the Carter family and I have been following him since the 60's...We pretty much have every record Chet has made...Maybe this video will explain it for you a little better...

Mr Guitar

Mr Guitar 2

i was never confused or needed it explained to me lol for some reason i thought i rememberd he had given him self a Ph D of guitar but he had proclamed him self a C.G.P. thats all that post was about 8-[

8-[

For some reason I have always linked/confused Chet Atkins and Merle Travis. Was Chet Atkins guitar style a hybrid of Travis Picking?

Travis picked with the thumb and forefinger of his right hand...Atkins built upon this and used his thumb and three fingers of his right hand to play the guitar...

I would say that Travis laid the foundation and other guitarists have built upon that, and we now have the likes of Tommy Emmanuel and Doyle Dykes...

Every guitarist has his "influence", Atkins was Travis and Django Rheinhardt...Travis I do not know...

A person may not enjoy this type of music, but the difficulty playing this way has to be appreciated...!

I didn't see any plastic slides...The guitar is a "Resonator" guitar me thinks...:-

Yes, otherwise known as a dobro. A trick of the lighting at around 1:30 into the clip make is look like he has something on his fingers, but you don't see this anywhere else. Or it could be my eyes, which are known to do funny things at times.

Archived