Gibson Brands Forums

How thin is too thin?

GibsonExplorer14

Ok, so I recently finished the final coat of satin finish on my SG Junior's neck. The neck was sanded to oblivion to get rid of that red paint, and show the plain maple. :-# The neck is probably half or 60% of the "depth" of my Telecaster (this is up where a zero fret would be). I'm curious about whether I will have any problems with this in the future, providing I'm careful with the guitar. It feels great by the way, a really unique feel. Any info/advice would be great.

Thanks.

I guess it depends on how long it will last before hitting wood. Wax will make your skin bind to the neck, and raw wood will tend to absorb hand sweat (and they are very sweaty compared to other parts of the skin). If the satin finish feels fine to you, I would put enough layers on it to prevent hitting raw wood any time soon. I never had problems with my hands binding to shiny lacquered necks, but I also had a small can of talc for my left hand to make the skin less likely to bind.

you put a sealer on before a clear coat.

you put it on and sand it very nicely.. then clear coat.

a single coat of clear poly will do the trick.

so I don't know what you mean by final coat of satin.

TWANG

#-o Oh, I think everyone is replying about the finish on the neck. I meant the neck itself. I meant lacquer, but said satin finish cause it feels like a Fender neck now...

The NECK, like the maple, is very thin. About 60% as thick as that of my Telecaster. I'm worried about the neck cracking at all because of how thin it is, not the finish wearing out

Archived