Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone seen one of these before?

EpiSheriMan

Was hoping I could get some help from the forum members' date='....I'm looking at various Acoustics and was hoping ya'll could shed some light on Ben Kweller's current model..Looks like a vintage model to me. Japan? Kalamazoo?

Was thinking it may be a FT-79 Texan...

[img']http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/spotondrums/bk2-1.jpg[/img]

BKEpi.jpg

That looks too small to be an FT-79 Texan...Looks more like an FT-45 Cortez made in Kalamazoo from about 1959 until 1970 as a Gibson made version and goes back to the 40's as an Epiphone model number. The Gibson version was much like a Gibson B-25..they had some design changes over the years...here's an earlier one.from about 1962..the one in your photo is probably from 1963-1970

epi_ft45_824.jpg

and here's a really early Gibson-made version from about 1959"

1291_img1.jpg

Mr.Nelson

That looks too small to be an FT-79 Texan...Looks more like an FT-45 Cortez made in Kalamazoo from about 1959 until 1970 as a Gibson made version and goes back to the 40's as an Epiphone model number. The Gibson version was much like a Gibson B-25..they had some design changes over the years...here's an earlier one.from about 1962..the one in your photo is probably from 1963-1970

epi_ft45_824.jpg

and here's a really early Gibson-made version from about 1959"

1291_img1.jpg

Mr.Nelson

Look at the double rings of rosette around the soundhole, not to mention the inlays. And see how much more body shows between the pick guard and the waist than shows in your Corez picture? Even though the guitar is held at an angle in that picture, it also appears that the lower bought wider than the Gibson B-series body, too. That's the (larger than the Cortez) Texan.

Red 333

Look at the double rings of rosette around the soundhole' date=' not to mention the inlays. And see how much more body shows between the pick guard and the waist than shows in your Corez picture? Even though the guitar is held at an angle in that picture, it also appears that the lower bought wider than the Gibson B-series body, too. That's the (larger than the Cortez) Texan.

Red 333[/quote']

Now that I really look at it I think you're right...I happen to own a '65 FT-79N and the upper bout doesn't seem as "round" as the pictured guitar and yes, you're correct about the fret board inlays...my bad...consensus opinion says...FT-79 Texan. Thanx for the correction.

Mr.Nelson

Now that I really look at it I think you're right...I happen to own a '65 FT-79N and the upper bout doesn't seem as "round" as the pictured guitar and yes' date=' you're correct about the fret board inlays...my bad...consensus opinion says...FT-79 Texan. Thanx for the correction.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

It was good of you to have posted all those pictures!

Red 333

Archived