Gibson Brands Forums

Special II body material

steelin

On the Epiphone website it is stated that Special II has body from basswood, when in many online music shops there are Specials II with laminated bodies. Was it like Epi changed the body material and shops have older series or shops are misinformed about body material? If the first one, when did Epi change the body material? Because I'm confused about my own guitar body material.

I just had a look at dv247 website (Big UK seller) and what surprised me is that they are stating different wood for each of the colors :-k (in brackets is the text that comes just after guitar picture and before the bullet pointed specifications)

Ebony: Mahogany/Alder (The Epiphone LES PAUL SPECIAL 2 6-String Electric Guitar, Maple Body, Mahogany N...)

Chery sunburst: Mahogany/Alder (he Epiphone LES PAUL SPECIAL 2 6-String Electric Guitar, Maple Body, Mahogany Neck, Heritage ...)

White: Mat. laminated maple body

Wine red: Mat. laminated maple body

Trans black (Ltd edition): Alder

Vintage sunburst: Mat. laminated maple body

and the funniest thing:

if guitar comes in a players pack:

ebony: Laminated Alder/Maple Body

what a hell????

I am by no means an expert at all but while researching my E-Series I came across an article that stated Epiphone switched from solid mahogony to laminated at some point. (Cannot remember the date.) It seems like they said the Epi LP Specials were solid and they went to laminated with the 2's. Could be wrong though. I do know that my Epi 2000 E-Series Basher is a lot heavier than the LP 2's being offerred in the stores now.

I'm sure its' changed many times over the years across different factories and finishes. I'm also sure that there will be negligible difference in the sound between mediocre basswood and mediocre mahogany, solid and laminate...it's a cheap guitar but usable, just play it and enjoy it. Basswood is an "ok" guitar wood and was used for the bodies on a lot of good Japanese guitars in the 70s / 80s.

It is not even a matter of my own psychic comfort, because I am satisfied with the guitar, but I want to write a honest review on my website, which cannot be without putting info about body material... My guitar was manufactured in 2005 and I am not pretty sure if it's really basswood.

Open the backplate and look inside the cavity. If you see layers in the wood, it's laminated.

If its not laminated it's probably either Alder or Basswood. You probably wont find any difinitive info on the exact wood type used. Maybe you could review it as a "solid wood body of either alder or basswood".

I have a 2001 Special II sunburst and it is plywood. You can look at the body edges and see the ripples of wood layers. The poly coating does a good job of hiding the plywood but you can still see it. Plus, you can see ripples when you look in the cavity, despite the heavy black paint. That year they also offered a wine colored solid body Special II that was suppose to be made from Mahogany but I have never seen one.

Guest icantbuyafender

my buddy and i both have LP jr's by epi and his was ebony out of a pack years ago when we started. i grabbed one as a single unit, no amp. and there are substantial differences in the two Jr.'s

his is featherlight, dare i say even hollow feeling...nearly plasticy

mine is a heavy mother. (even with all the sanding and refinishing ive done to it since ive progressed)

his is tight and punchy sounding, nearly fat-strat-ish

mine is more syrupy and soulful like an old LP

do they intentionally use lighter or more non expensive wood on the value bundle axes?

mine is easily as heavy as the LP standards and custom models...

as both my standard plus top and standard classic quilt top match it in heftyness.

my buddy and i both have LP jr's by epi and his was ebony out of a pack years ago when we started. i grabbed one as a single unit' date=' no amp. and there are substantial differences in the two Jr.'s

mine is easily as heavy as the LP standards and custom models...

as both my standard plus top and standard classic quilt top match it in heftyness.

[/quote']

Is it Chinese? There is probably lead in it.

bu-dum-ba!

...sorry. couldnt resist.

I dont know why, how or when their woods vary, but it does vary...alot. And the old addage that laminate guitars are lighter that solid wood isnt neccessarily true. I have an Epi strat (laminate and routed HSH & for a floyd) and a Squire strat (alder, QMT SSS standard) and they both weigh in about the same by feel. But my laminate G-310 is as light as a feather.

The only thing you can do is open them up and see what's inside.

vaguely on topic' date=' what's the lp standard made of nowadays? is it a laminate of mahogany and alder, or alder with a wrap of mahogany on the outside, or what? [/quote']

I'm not really up on the LP tip, but the Epi website says "Solid Body Mahogany". Just dont ask what type of Mahogany.

I'm not really up on the LP tip' date=' but the Epi website says "Solid Body Mahogany". Just dont ask what type of Mahogany.[/quote'] My '07 Std+ appears to be three pcs of "mahogany" of some sort, with a laminated back, plus the top pc (alder ??? I have no idea, honestly) with the maple laminate. Neck is 3 pc "mahogany" as well...... at least as evidenced by the seam lines.

edit ..... DOH !!! I meant veneer when I typed laminate - maple veneer on top, "mahogany" veneer on the back.

My '07 Std+ appears to be three pcs of "mahogany" of some sort' date=' with a laminated back, plus the top pc (alder ??? I have no idea, honestly) with the maple laminate. Neck is 3 pc "mahogany" as well...... at least as evidenced by the seam lines. [/quote']

Guitar woods are still quite new to me, and Epiphone's smoke & mirrors with their tone woods really just adds to my confusion.

Guest icantbuyafender

i believe the standard classic plus top i mentioned earlier has a mahogony body with laminate back/sides and a maple veneer

Archived