Gibson Brands Forums

Lost In The Flood

Emetry

So, I'm recording a cover of the aforementioned song, and while my piano, cello, and vocals sounds good, it's missing something critical. Guitar. HOWEVER. My Mic will not pick up sound from my halfstack balanced. Any pointers on how to record guitar without having to buy a VAmp or something similar?

The current setup is a compressor mic plugged in to my desktop via USB. The mic ususally picks up everything I need, even sound from my keyboard amp, but for some reason, my Marshall stack isn't recording correctly, I can't place the mic in a way that gives me a full sound, it's either too low and washed out, or too high and tinny.

There are v-amp type deals that you can get and plug in via USB, I know that, but they're rather spendy. I'd rather not drop that much when I'm sure there's a cheaper alternative.

My "studio" is a converted bedroom, sound blocked, not sound proofed, and all cables are shielded, so I know the mic isn't having issues crossing power cables or anything like that.

There are a number of tricks you could try... Guitars are difficult to record properly even in optimal studio conditions. First, try the Jimmy Page "distance = depth" approach, and place the mic a good 6 to 8 feet from the amp, then crank the amp as loud as your situation allows. Adjust input gain accordingly. Another possibly more practical approach would be to layer two or three takes of each part, using different mic placement on each. Do one track with your high and tinny sound, one with the low and boomy one, and maybe a third miked from a distance. Blend the tracks together in your recording software as needed...

Also, depending on what software you are recording with, there are a number of plug ins that can help "fix" a poorly recorded guitar tone.

In any case, do a google search, there are tons of online articles on recording guitars that would be helpful. Just remember that there is no "wrong" way, and keep experimenting. You'll find something that works eventually.

Emetry,

You mentioned a compressor mic. Did you mean a condenser mic? They are not an optimal mic for recording

guitar cabs. They are better for acoustic guitars and vocals. Too close and they will "wash out". Too far and

the sound does become too airy resulting in what you call high and tinny.

C.B. suggested the POD. Great tool. But, if it's not what you are looking for, so be it.

Gen Z has given you some great insights and advice. If you are going to try to utilize what you already have then

that would be the way to go.

My question is what kind of software are you using? If it accepts VST plugins try these:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

The "Classic Series" are free....they're good.....they work.

They work with Win 2000 and XP. Never tried them on Vista.

Combined with Gen Z's advice you could be back in business.

GenZ and Whitmore,

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to try out the distance approach. Yes I'm using a "condenser" mic. I've always tended to say that wrong.

I'm using Sony Acid Pro 6 on XP to record, but I usually don't go with VSTs, I suppose I'll have to try some diffferent ways to figure this one out. Thanks guys.

In a bedroom, maybe try turning the amp speaker cabinet toward the wall or corner! That will disperse the sound (less pointed), and might help giving you a "bigger" tone, as you may be able to turn up, a bit more? It also spreads the tone around, so it's not so pointed but rounder....like it's surrounding you. The other's had good suggestions, too...just keep at it...you will find what works.

Good luck!

CB

GenZ and Whitmore' date='

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to try out the distance approach. Yes I'm using a "condenser" mic. I've always tended to say that wrong.

I'm using Sony Acid Pro 6 on XP to record, but I usually don't go with VSTs, I suppose I'll have to try some diffferent ways to figure this one out. Thanks guys.[/quote']

Yeah, think about the name... "condenser" mic. Condense, or "make smaller"... Optimally, you want to record a guitar cabinet with a Shure SM57, but if one of those is out of budget, any old standard vocal style mic will probably get you a better sound than a condenser. If you have an old radio shack mic even, try that... Cheap mics can often yield surprisingly good results. When we record a band practice with just one open mic in the middle of the room, we get a much better sounding recording from a 15 year old crap mic that came with a karaoke machine than we do from an SM57 or SM58. Not exactly sure why that is, but it is. Probably has something to do with response patterns and what-not. Anyway, it all goes back to the "no wrong way" philosophy.

Archived