Gibson Brands Forums

Play some Buddy Holly today

tvyelwhiteflag

"Actually it is a common myth that Waylon was supposed to be on the plane. The story is true but it was actually band member Tommy Allsup that gave up his seat to Ritchie Valens."

well...

" Throughout '58' date=' Jape ("the big bopper") signed onto many tours to promote his record. His last tour being the Winter Dance Party of 1959. The tour was scheduled to play in remote locations throughout mid-west United States, and the mid-west was suffering a harsh winter. The bus provided to the musicians had engine problems and no heating system. For this last reason Jape had caught the flu. When the tour rolled into Clear Lake Iowa, Buddy Holly chartered a plane to fly his band to the next gig. Jape approached Buddy's bass player, Waylon Jennings, and asked for Jennings seat on the plane, so that Jape could get some rest and a doctors appointment. Waylon agreed and gave his seat to Jape, a decision that saved him, but killed the Bopper. Waylon would feel guilty for this for some time. The plane took off from Mason City Airport around 1:00 the morning of February 3rd, 1959, and crashed 8 miles after takeoff, killing Jape, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the pilot Roger Peterson."

http://www.officialbigbopper.com/i_thestories.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/17/entertainment/main2369529.shtml

this is in several books, as well, including Jennings' autobiography...as I understand it, two seats were swapped...

During the early morning hours of February 3, 1959, the charter airplane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson (aka "The Big Bopper") crashed outside Clear Lake, Iowa, killing all on board. In his 1996 autobiography, Jennings admitted that in the years afterward, he felt severe guilt and responsibility for the crash. After Jennings gave up his seat, Holly had jokingly told Jennings, "I hope your ol' bus freezes up!" Jennings shot back facetiously, "I hope your damn plane crashes!"[6']

6^ VH1's Behind the Music "The Day the Music Died" interview with Waylon Jennings

As I stated; this is the common myth. Here is a Youtube clip of Tommy talking about it and I believe it was mentioned in the Paul MaCartney film titled " The Real Buddy Holly Story ". I believe that this story was always credited to Waylon and Waylon backed it up simply because he went on to bigger things than did Tommy.

EDIT....as I stated, BOTH waylon jennings and tommy allsup were supposed

to be on the flight...I never said the allsup / valens coin toss story was false, I merely pointed out the waylon jennings

gave up his seat to the big bopper, who had the flu...you can hear tommy allsup confirm this 3:35 seconds or so into

the interview you posted, before he tells the allsup / valens coin toss story...it's not a myth and jennings never claimed

to originally have had valens' seat...

EDIT: made a mistake in last sentence

Whoa; hold on Dubstar ! I wasn't trying to offend you or call you out. I said what I said because from what I hear many people believe that waylon gave up his seat to Ritchie. I did not watch the interview I posted because I have heard Tommy tell the story of giving up his seat to Ritchie many times but appears that you are right; waylon did give up HIS seat to The Bopper, so I learned something too. My apologies; no offense mean't.

no problem...that's why I edited out my first sentence about watching the clip : )

I brought it up, because I heard a very interesting interview / tribute broadcast on

one of the local country shows on sunday night...the NYC area actually has a few

"real" country shows on the air, and all of them occasionally venture into music

that bookends the classic country sound..."old time music", rockabilly, country-rock,

etc...

Archived