Gibson Brands Forums

John Lennon EJ-160E. Is it any good?

MTEK

Hey hey

New to the forum.

Is this guitar any good? I can't try it myself because

no guitar store in my hometown have it.

A far better acoustic at a simlar price would be a Masterbilt AJ500M or AJ500ME if you wanted a pick up.

It really depends on what you want from it.

A. If you are looking for a go to acoustic guitar that will be your number one choice...no, this guitar is not the answer.

B. If you are looking for a gorgeous guitar that when in your hands makes you want to strum some great early Beatle tunes (and when played through the right amp makes you sound very much like the Beatles sound) then, yes, it is a fantastic guitar.

Look, I like mine. Sure it has its problems, but with electric guitar strings on it and plugged into my VOX amp, this guitar is incredible. It really sounds like John Lennon is right in the room playing "Please Please Me." This guitar gives me a perfect Beatle sound that I truly want.

Even the originals were not very good guitars. If it had not been for the Beatles these things would be remembered about as well as the Martin D-28E.

You would be better off buying a Masterbuilt slope shoulder jumbo and slapping a pickup across the soundhole.

You would be better off buying a Masterbuilt slope shoulder jumbo and slapping a pickup across the soundhole.

Take a look at the EF500RCCE. Same tonewoods as the highly coveted and now "Discontinued" AJ500RC and EN546CE models (solid cedar soundboard, solid rosewood sides/back), same nut width (1.75") and scale (25.5") as the AJ500RC. Comes from the factory with a built in ESonic2 pickup system and a fairly deep cutaway.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=268&CollectionID=15

Not a slope shouldered guit, but I'll take this one over either of the AJ offerings b/c of the cedar soundboard and wider nut/neck.

Hmmmm......:-$ , what's that I hear, some sort of distant rumbling........could that be GAS?????

Dugly O:)

Even the originals were not very good guitars. If it had not been for the Beatles these things would be remembered about as well as the Martin D-28E.

Remembered as well as, a........What????????????????#-o

Archived