Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul Gibson or Epiphone?

tonedogg

HI guys was trawling throught the net and came across this on some guitar building website, Don't know if it's true but if it is, does this really make the Gibson les pauls copies of the Epiphones, so are Gib LP's american knock offs lol. just for discussion.

"An interesting fact I learned was that the solid body guitar that Les Paul built (the log) was made from an Epiphone neck plus the top and botton halves of an Epiphone archtop body. Not only that but Epiphone let Les Paul use their shop to build it. All this happened before Gibson bought Epiphone. And as we all know, Les Paul sold the idea to gibson. Weird coincidence huh?"

les paul's 'log' guitar was indeed made (by him) in the epiphone factory, and using an epiphone body anf tuners, and a Gibson neck. it was basically a 335 style solid centreblock semi acoustic, but bolted together frankenstein's monster style... looks ACE.

Epiphone back on form there nice spot saw this on the Hustory of The Guitar doccumentary and the only reason Gibson got the Les Paul was because Epiphone wanted it but Les offered Gibson it first. GET EPIPHONE BACK IN THE USA THEN WE WILL SEE!!

Are you going to be willing to pay the prices for a USA made Epiphone? I doubt it.

Some say the only "Real" Epiphones, were made in New York! That since Gibson's takeover in '57, things

have continually slid downhill, for "Epi." ??? Maybe...for the "jazz boxes?" But, for the Thin-lines, or "semi's"

as we like to call them...I think the Gibson (Kalamazoo) years, were good ones, for the most part. But,

that's just My opinion, others may (probably will) differ....

But, I for one, have NEVER thought of the actual "Les Paul" guitar, as being an Epiphone, ever! Regardless of where the "Log" was produced. IT wasn't a "Les Paul," model. So, Epiphones (to me) Vintage or otherwise, have always been Semi's or, the Full bodied Jazz boxes. The Wilshire, Coronet, etc...were just Gibson's attempt to give Epiphone a model of their own, to "compete" with the SG's, at the time. There was never any Epiphone "Les Paul," prior to going "Asian!" Japanese and Korean versions (authorized or not)...and later...it was Gibson Japan's (Orville) attempt, to counter all the "lawsuit" models produced by Ibanez, Burny, Tokai, Greco and/or other manufacturers. Since many of the "law suit" versions were as or more accurate, to the original Les Pauls, in specs, than anything Norlin/Gibson was producing, at the time. So, maybe if you want at "Real" (Asian) Les Paul, you'll need to get an early Tokai, Burny, or other lawsuit model...but, they "ain't cheap," anymore.

CB

Archived