Gibson Brands Forums

OT - Help needed in wiring tele I'm putting together

wiggy

I know this is completely OT but I could do with some quick help. I'm wiring up a tele I've put together and am having difficulty working out which wires go where on the switch (I'm used to LP wiring). It isn't helped by the fact that the switch which came with the control panel is a POS and seems to bear little relationship with anything I can find when I google tele wiring (I intend to replace it with a decent one asap but just need to get it wired up now because I'm dying to hear how it sounds!)

I've posted a couple of pics below to show the setup.

DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

box switches.

you know, I've replaced a zillion of those.. and never had a problem with the Oak/grigsby type.

just saying!

and I'm with ron. put the volume control up front, the tone in the middle and the switch at the back.

you could go with a four way switch, too.. *S*

TWANG

Looks like the cheap and nasty switch on the Alba Tele I bought recently for fun. There should be a bridge pup lead soldered to the first 2 points on that mini PCB, on the left in your pic. I can see the blob of solder joining the 2 points but no lead attached. Similarly, the "live" lead from the neck pup goes to the 2 points on the right, joined with a blob of solder.

And you've given me an excuse to post pics of the Alba :

100_1429.jpg

100_1426.jpg

Got it wired up and running. Doesn't sound anywhere as good as it should so next stop is new strings, junk the pots, switch and caps for decent quality ones and then hopefully we should be there. Acoustically she sounds fantastic and the pups are Bare Knuckle Yardbirds so the only thing letting the side down is the aforementioned bits on the control plate plus my lousy soldering skills.

I think she looks the business though. (the separate pieces of the body don't show up under normal lighting unless you look closely and as the whole thing, including the pups has cost me less than £200 to assemble, I'm feeling quite happy!)

DSCF0118.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

Nice looking guitar.

If you're really happy with it..

I'd go CTS pots for sure.

And why not.. go for an oil in paper cap while you're at it. 12.00 isn't so much.

Get a four way switch in there, too. May as well get those birds doing all they can.

and reverse that control plate.

Not to make you all spendy but..

how about roller string trees.

And a Wilkinson vintage style compensated bridge, get it intonated better, and brass saddles to bring out all the sound you can.

wrap your bridge pup with copper foil for sheilding.

and then go kick some butt.

tWANG

Having let her settle overnight I picked her up again this evening. Perhaps the fingers weren't working yesterday or the strings have settled in but she played better than I could have imagined. Trouble is I now feel guilty every time I pick her up because my Epi LP is looking at me and I feel like I'm being unfaithful in full view.

Actually only problem with places like this is that we're generally all so widely dispersed geographically. I'd love to be able to get together with a few people from here and chat/jam/booze/whatever or a regular/irregular basis.

Archived