Gibson Brands Forums

old flying V model, anyone have info?

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

i have a 10 year old flying V by etpiphone that was given to me via an old friend of my unlce.

its a 68 V by the tune-o-matic and stopbar combo and the shape of the pickguard.

heres the kicker

the pickguard is cut for ONE volume and ONE tone with the input jack and 3way selector

it is wired up (looks like a stock job) with an EMGs ... an EMG60 and an EMG85

ive never heard of a 60, just a 80 and 85 combo....

anyhow... anyone seen or heard of any model like this?

the knobs and switch and jack are in a straight line down the bottom fin.

The volume knob is uncomfortably close to the tuneomatic too, which is why im getting a new PG cut for the normal electronics a 68 re-issue has...

Guest icantbuyafender

my computer illiterate self coouldnt think of a way to post a pic, so i just made it my avatar

please take a look and any info helps!

May just be the angle of the pic, but the pickguard looks misshapen and crooked to me. I would think you should see an even amount of the body on the right side of the guitar all the way down the guard, but it looks like the guard is about 1/4" off from top to bottom. Something looks funny about the controls, too. Couple that with the odd pickup selection, and I would say it is definitely not stock. Probably an aftermarket guard, if not homemade, unless the guitar is fake.

Also, as an aside, someone with more initiative than me should post a tutorial on how to post pics, and have the thread made into a sticky. Seems like half the posters here want to post pics, but can't figure it out... I'll do it, if I can ever get the time when I'm at home and can post from a real computer and not my blackberry pearl... I can't run java scripts on this thing, so I can't even use the full function of the board, like searching, or replying to personal messages, LOL.

Guest icantbuyafender

i checked on the serial number and it is legit.

the thing is , i cannot find a guard that fits the damn thing!

it really is pissing me off. i had to alter an old beat up gibby guard (cut off a 1/4" on each side) to get the damn thing to fit.

does anyone know a pickguard maker????

I'll send the one shown to use as a template.

I just want the PROPER control layout on the damn guard.

i have it wired up on that crappy fix i did to fit the normal layout.

i just may sell the damn thing. its looking to be more trouble than its worth.

lksdnjflasdjf;asdkljfkl;asdjf!!!!!

Guest icantbuyafender

i just had a staring match against the V and it started talking $hit...

it just bought itself a ticket to a pawn shop or guitar center to be used toward a wilshire.

Oh those mysterious black Vs... check out mine... I'd appreciate your input on whether the serial and logo look anything like on your guitar... I'm trying to determine its date and whether it's a real Epi:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=93917

Now on to your guitar...

Do you think your pickguard might have been handmade? Some folks, like me, buy lower-cost guitars to learn maintenance stuff.

If a replacement pickguard won't fit because of hole alignment you can always drill new holes and plug the old ones...

Daniel

Guest icantbuyafender

youd be surprised at how OFF the entire body is to the gibby PG

the body is smaller as is the distance between pups and note the lack of holes in the PG for the bridge.

this guitar is just a nightmare period.

the gibby PG dwarfs the body in a grotesque manner yet it fits snuggly in an epi V hardcase

how awkward.

as for dating an epi, try http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Thanks, I already checked it out.... I gathered all info I could about my guitar but some of it is contraditory. For instance, GDP says it's made in 1990 in the Czech republic, but other sources say production there started 3 years later.

There's more info, plus pics, on the post I linked above.

Thanks

Daniel

Dude, if you're going to get rid of it, let me know... I've got a friend who has been jonesing for a V for a while, but since he has to convert it to lefty, he would have to do a bunch of work to it, so he doesn't want to spend a lot on the guitar itself. If you're looking to get rid of it cheap, send me a pm, I'm sure we can work something out!

Archived