Gibson Brands Forums

Knob trouble...(volume I mean)

MMeazey

I'm having trouble with one of my volume knobs. I was rehersing using a horrible crate amp which was giving really bad feedback. So to fix that every time we stopped a song I turned me volume knob down. One time I done it, it got stuck, like it got caught in the wood. Thinking about it now, its always been scraping on the wood when I turn it.

So, whats the most safest and easiest way to adjust the height of the knob?

Your volume pot may be too far into the cavity. There is a nut & washer underneath that allows you to set the height of the pot. Try adusting it so more of the post comes throught the cavity/pickguard...or you can buy knobs with set-screws in them to adjust the height of the knob instead of the whole pot.

So' date=' whats the most safest and easiest way to adjust the height of the knob? [/quote'] I'm thinking just slip a string or plastic grocery bag or saran wrap or thread or something thin under it and gently pull up (if your fingernails are long/strong enough, that'd work too - don't use anything that'll scratch the surface like a screwdriver or something). These knobs are all press on knobs, afaik, and don't have to be pushed all the way down ..... just gently pull it up a little above the wood and it should stay there, unless you press down on it too hard. I have my knobs maybe 1mm above the guitar top. Just be gentle, should be fine.

You should be able to tell if the knob is actually hitting the guitars top..

And I can't actually imagine what sort of knob would catch on the wood enough to stop it.

It sounds to me like there's something wrong with the pot.

Of course, first I'd pull the knob off.

Then I'd turn the pot shaft.

If that catches there's your problem.

A couple of things could be the source of this, if it's not the knob.

The shaft/knob could have taken a bump, and the pot is messed up inside..

the pot could just be made wrong and something small, over time, grew into a problem.

If the knob is hitting the wood.. you can pull the knob off.. put a screwdriver tip in the pot shaft slot... and

carefully

pry it apart a bit..

just a little..!

that will make the knob fit tighter, and it wont go all the way down, to hitting the guitar top, unless you force it.

If that does it, you're fine.

If not, the pot probably needs replaced.

TWANG

You should be able to tell if the knob is actually hitting the guitars top..

And I can't actually imagine what sort of knob would catch on the wood enough to stop it.

It sounds to me like there's something wrong with the pot.

TWANG

I have seen that before..infact it was in a store..I was trying this Trans Blue Paul and found out that the knobs were actutally touching the surface..infact stopping it form turning..i told it to the guys and they fixed it..it was the knobs touching the body..I am sure thats the case with your's too..

Archived