Gibson Brands Forums

Help - Broken Headstock

TomLeech

So my friend has a Epi Les Paul which he bought last june from Sound Control in Leeds who hae now gone bust.

Yesterday he told me that it fell over after being left against the sofa and the headstock broke. He told me that he wasn't going to replace it and just stick with his bass and said that i can have it if i pay for it repairing. #-o/

So i was wondering how do i go about getting it fixed. Obviously i wont be doing it myself but do go through Epiphone and do they fix it. He still has the receipt for it aswell

Thank you

So my friend has a Epi Les Paul which he bought last june from Sound Control in Leeds who hae now gone bust.

Yesterday he told me that it fell over after being left against the sofa and the headstock broke. He told me that he wasn't going to replace it and just stick with his bass and said that i can have it if i pay for it repairing. #-o/

So i was wondering how do i go about getting it fixed. Obviously i wont be doing it myself but do go through Epiphone and do they fix it. He still has the receipt for it aswell

Thank you

Show us a pic of the damage. You can probably fix it yourself, its easy if it is a clean break. A luthier will charge around £60 for a basic repair, all you have to do is glue it and clamp it for a couple of days!

Show us a pic of the damage. You can probably fix it yourself' date=' its easy if it is a clean break. A luthier will charge around £60 for a basic repair, all you have to do is glue it and clamp it for a couple of days![/quote']

I don't have a pic as of yet, i will get one tomorrow.I'm pretty sure he said it was a clean break though. But £60 ain't bad at all. Are Luthiers hard to come by?

Cancel that question i've just found a few near me

I don't have a pic as of yet' date=' i will get one tomorrow.I'm pretty sure he said it was a clean break though. But £60 ain't bad at all. Are Luthiers hard to come by?

Cancel that question i've just found a few near me[/quote']

I have fixed a few headstocks now, all you need is a thin coat of epoxy resin on both sides and hold it together with a G clamp for a couple of days. Then gently sand away any excess glue and buff up with T-Cut. I fixed my '74 SG with epoxy I bought at ASDA for £1, its solid as a rock!

19042008058.jpg

19042008061.jpg

04052008108.jpg

28052008241.jpg

you could also try PVA glue which (since it is designed for use with wood) should fix the Problem if you clamp it tight (and you dont need to respray)

remember to use somthing like a peice of wood to stop damage to the finish of the wood from a metal clamp, ang use tissues or similar to wipe off the excess glue, and youll be away

you could also try PVA glue which (since it is designed for use with wood) should fix the Problem if you clamp it tight (and you dont need to respray)

remember to use somthing like a peice of wood to stop damage to the finish of the wood from a metal clamp' date=' ang use tissues or similar to wipe off the excess glue, and youll be away[/quote']

PVA glue is no good, it is an elastic glue so the headstock will slowly give way under tension. If you want to re-glue any of the original joints such as the heel you can use animal glue, anything that has broken or fragmented needs a solid resin to hold everything together. Epoxy resin sets like stone and can be sanded and painted.

Nice job AS90. You evidently didn't learn from this guy:

Dot-BADFIX1.jpg

Dot-BADFIX2.jpg

Tom - it really isn't that hard to glue the headstock back onto the neck. Good tips above. The hard part is making it look like it didn't happen. I fixed a G-400 with a similar problem, it works fine. I glued it together about a year ago and I have had no problems with it, but you can tell it was broken. It plays great and it is a conversation piece.

cheers for the help guys but how much would a clamp cost me? I don't mind paying for it to be done professionally because i think i would probably do a botched job but is it easy?

You can get a 'G' clamp for a couple of quid...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-2-Piece-50mm-2-Heavy-Duty-G-Clamps_W0QQitemZ400030537595QQihZ027QQcategoryZ66916QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Loads of info here...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/30489-first-headstock-fix.html

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/vintage-guitar-repair-example.htm

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/solids.html

Archived