Gibson Brands Forums

tailpiece bushing pulling out of my dot!

gibsonbass76

I noticed one of the bushings on my dot are pulling out of the body for the tailpiece. What are my options? I have talked to some people who say super glue, and others say not to, what have you guys done? Actually thought about installing a trapeze, but would have empty holes in the body, so I am leaning more towards fixing it.

if the hole has widen, i would try putting a piece of flat wood toothpick in bushing hole and re-inserting bushing. this should work as a quick fix. i would not use glue. it makes for a stressful job if you plan to replace original tailpiece with better quality or different color. flat wood toothpicks are a great fix. it will reduce hole spacing enough to give bushing the abilty to bite into and not move.

I agree with wardog. I had the same problem with my Dot. But I never noticed it until I went to replace the bushings and found that they slid right out. In this case it was a help--the new bushings were bigger anyway.

If your loose bushings are preventing you from having a stable setup, shim the bushings with some wood shavings or toothpicks. (In the most serious case, you could build up the hole with shavings glued in place with some white glue, then gradually re-widen the hole with sandpaper around a dowel to accept your bushing--but I don't think you will have to go that far.)

Cheers.

If you use a little wood dust.. like from sanding... and mix it with elmers glue.. and smear it around the bushing... then put it in

it works great.

elmers is cheap.. long as it's in there it will hold.. but it breaks free easy if you ever want to pull the bushing..

experiment with making the paste.. take your time.. and you'll get it even instead of a lop sided thing using

a toothpick.

washes right off your hands, too.

gives you an even seal and keeps the bushing straight.

TWANG

Yeah Twang's repair would work and hold. Keep it neat and hide it from the above area on the top. I have seen this problem and I have seen floyd rose post bushings coming up as well. You want them to be stable so you can adjust height properly. I was going to suggest the toothpick and wood glue but the wood dust solution looks good too.

Archived