Gibson Brands Forums

real or fake

sinvayne

Hello Sinvayne,

I am not an expert at all, but there are quite a few on this forum. This guitar looks homebuilt to me. The bolt on neck, lack of proper serial numbers and markings makes me think it may have come from a kit. It looks like a laminate on the face of the headstock, but I could be wrong.

But seriously, for $20, if it plays well and you like it, how could you go wrong? That is much cheaper than a dinner at a decent restaurant.

Doth

The guitar you bought is the guitar in your avatar picture. Based on the photobucket pix,

the price, and IF it PLAYZZZZ, you may have an instant steal. I love les paul-style gits,

especially $20.00 ones. Have you removed the cover plate over the knobs to see if

the pots are the big size or minis, does it look like it was wired using left-over electric

cord or actual colored, insulated wire? Do you know what brand of pick-ups? Next time

you change strings, unscrew the 4 screws holding it down, lift up a bit and turn over

to see if brand label on bottom. I see it's a bolt-on neck, it's no problem.

How's the neck? Condition of bridge, etc?

I keep wanting to call it a SAGA Brand kit guitar, but I've never seen a Saga with

Maple fret board, plus the Headstock shape is JUST LIKE a LP...

$20.00!!!!! EXCELLENT!!!! I'd like to place an order for 5, please.

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to study up on fakes and kit guitars. If I just hang it on the wall in my pool room it's worth the $20. I think it is a nice looking guitar. Never really played an Epiphone or Gibson to compare it to. It seems to sound ok. I have an Ibanez RG5EX1. I haven't been playing but a few years. One of those things that I wish I started a long time ago. Next time I change strings, I'll check the pickups out and leave some info on here. I'll post some pics of them and the wiring. Again, thanks for the help. Cool forum.

Archived