Gibson Brands Forums

dot re-wire questions?

gibsonbass76

I'm looking at either completely or partially re-wiring my dot. I thought about just replacing my bridge pickup and was curious if I can pull the stock pickup a little out, cut the lead wires and connect the new lead wires to those wire. This would let me only have to soldier the couple wires together and not have to access the internal electronics. Your thoughts are welcome. I'm thinking about GFS to try out first.

That would work fine and is the way a lot of people do it. You might also consider doing what I did and fitting as pair of quick connectors at the same time. This way you can swap pups quickly without having to desolder and solder wires in the future.

With the same pickups and body construction' date=' is there any difference in sound between your Dot and Sheri? Only the neck really differs.[/quote']

My Sheri has a little brighter tone to it when plugged in. When playing without an amp, it is also a little louder. And yeah, the neck on my Sherry has a thinner profile, which I really like. But, I'm not planning on parting with my Dot, I love them both.

does anyone have a tutorial on how to totally rewire a semi hollowbody? I want to totally redo my dot but working through the f holes makes me want to cry!

I don't know of a tutorial on a total rewire but this should at least help:

No reason to cry. It just requires string and patience.

Archived