Gibson Brands Forums

capacitor choice....

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

I'm going for a smooth bluesy bottom without being too dark and overly bassy.

basically what capacitor gives a mahogony solid body a wider or expanded tone range for versatility. ya know like what size caps give strat type and 'paul type tones..... I've been told sprague orange drops..... but what's the tone difference between .047uf and .022uf caps?

both my mod guitars have only one tone knob to control both neck and bridge pups. (if that makes a difference)

A .047 cap(generally used in Strats) will cut more highs. In a humbuckerfitted guitar like a LP they will sound overly dark, so LPs generally use the smaller .022 caps. Results are dependant on type of PU, potvalues and your particular taste in tone. I think it's worth it to experiment with different values. Try some smaller ones(.015 etc). Orange drops are a good choice, or Mallorys.

I recently replaced pickups and all internal electronics in the Raven LP copy

guitar I have, dumped mini pots for full size, tried different cap values

.022ufd, .047ufd on tone pots, ended up with .022ufd as choice. Strangely

enough, that's what my EPI LP studio has... BUT, I did find this "chart",

may be of some help...

4000_05.gif

I recently replaced pickups and all internal electronics in the Raven LP copy

guitar I have' date=' dumped mini pots for full size, tried different cap values

.22ufd, .47ufd on tone pots, ended up with .22ufd as choice. Strangely

enough, that's what my EPI LP studio has... BUT, I did find this "chart",

may be of some help...

[/quote']

Excellent chart on the effects of tone caps..but you forgot to add the prerequisite "0" in front

of your text values. I also found that .015uf is a nice comprimise for SC as well.

Here's some more info on tone caps...

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx

Excellent chart on the effects of tone caps..but you forgot to add the prerequisite "0" in front

of your text values. I also found that .015uf is a nice comprimise for SC as well.

Here's some more info on tone caps...

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx

OOOPS! My bad, I was in a hurry.... Edit, edit... All Fixed!

Guest icantbuyafender

on a single A500K tone potentiometer with moderate 10k output and 9k output pups get more tonerange w/ .047uf cap ?

I know they cut more treble out but does this mean they do not possess chime?

I'm close to a texas strat sound and I just want to expand the pallet of frequency range.

normally I like a .022 in bridge and a .047 or .034 in the neck.

would 250K or 300K work for the .047 / .034 or .022 combo? like, would it give a bassier or more trebley sound as compared to an A500K?

I was just gonna pop in with .033s as a suggestion..

and also 330K was used by gibson for quite a while for pots.

chime factor depend on a couple of things.. but .047s are probably gonna mute that aspect a bit.

you don't increase anything for lows. you just change the frequency at which the highs are cut.

so which cap will work best is according to your pup. pot. and ear.

along with the cap.

buy some caps.. at rat shack.. they're cheap.. mix and match until you find it!

then go for a sprague or mallory or some oil in paper.

TWANG

on a single A500K tone potentiometer with moderate 10k output and 9k output pups get more tonerange w/ .047uf cap ?

I know they cut more treble out but does this mean they do not possess chime?

I'm close to a texas strat sound and I just want to expand the pallet of frequency range.

normally I like a .022 in bridge and a .047 or .034 in the neck.

would 250K or 300K work for the .047 / .034 or .022 combo? like' date=' would it give a bassier or more trebley sound as compared to an A500K?

[/quote']

More range with a cap-change? Not really. It's a passive circuit. You can't dial in what's not there.

A toneknob does nothing more than roll off the highs. The cap determines how much.

I think "chime" would really depend on the pickup, not on pot and capvalue.

You can not expand the range. However it is possible to shift the frequency response to be either more trebly or middly(but never both).

Capvalues are meaningless without knowing what pots and PUs are used. They all work together.

I reckon that would be pretty muddy sounding....=P~

Well as everyone probly already knows:-#, Im also doing the whole mod of my electronics and im probly doing the simple way around the caps and going for the 22 sprague orange drops.

hope your caps are more tastefull than mine :)

cho/cheers and thanks

Archived