Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone tell me if this guitar is fake?

mickdunn205

Hi, i bought this guitar off ebay probably a silly thing to do cause the day after i paid, the seller got a neutral feedback saying a buyers guitar was counterfeit, so i started searching on the net about fakes and found a lot on this forum, i dont know much about guitars so if anyone knows that would be a great help, if its a fake ill be sending it back as the guy who left the seller neutral feedback got a refund, then ill be sensible and save a little more for a les paul standard from a guitar shop, if i need to take any more pics i can

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/mickdunn205/

Thanks in advance for any help

Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China

August 2008

Production Number: 03165 this is what the Epiphone serial number decoder write.

The Gibson Qingdao Plant was opened in October 2002, Qingdao, China. It is the only plant run by Epiphone in Asia.Both acoustic and electric guitars are made here. The factory is dedicated to making Epiphone and only Epiphone guitars with the aim of producing higher quality guitars.

This is what the Epiphone serial number decoder write when I put your serial number on it.

mickdunn205, you may want to check this thread...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

Also, you can check if the parts such as output jack, 3-way switch, bridge and pickups have "Epiphone" stamped on.

Also, pictures of the control cavity showing wiring and black conductive paint will help to see if you have a counterfeit or not.

it looks a lil funny headstock and inlays seem a lil iffy..

The quality seems a bit crappy ive only seen epiphone les pauls at a guitar shop and they seemed much better quality, on this one the sticker on the pickup is back to front and one of the screws on the plastic bit around the pickup is missing!

mickdunn205' date=' you may want to check this thread...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

Also, you can check if the parts such as output jack, 3-way switch, bridge and pickups have "Epiphone" stamped on.

Also, pictures of the control cavity showing wiring and black conductive paint will help to see if you have a counterfeit or not.[/quote']

Thanks that did help i put a couple of pics of the wiring on the link at the top, theres no epiphone stamps on bridge pickups etc. so i think its definately fake theres something rattling inside if you shake it too lol! guess you learn from your mistakes#-o, i'll contact the seller for a refund.

Thanks for the help

Thanks that did help i put a couple of pics of the wiring on the link at the top' date=' theres no epiphone stamps on bridge pickups etc. so i think its definately fake theres something rattling inside if you shake it too lol! guess you learn from your mistakes#-o, i'll contact the seller for a refund.

Thanks for the help[/quote']

Glad to hear that it helped!!!

Archived