Gibson Brands Forums

Is this right?

johnnyz

I bought an epiphone les paul standard yesterday and after i brought it home i noticed a few things I hadn't in the store. ( I get excited and overlook things sometimes) anyway..... I noticed that when i turn the volume completely down on either one of the pickups they both go silent no matter which knob i use. Is that what's supposed to happen? This is my first non-strat guitar and I need to know if i'm just stupid or i bought a slightly flawed guitar. also the pickup selector is backwards (trebel chooses neck and rhythm chooses bridge) i know i could fix it myself i'm just wondering if i should just take it back for a different one. any suggestions are appreciated.

Sounds like you're in the middle (switch) position? If that's the case, yeah...it does that (normally).

Also, regarding the switch being "backwards?" More likely, it was loose, and when tightened, was

rotated! Just loosen it back up, move it to the correct position and while holding it, retighten the

nut/collar.

CB

Hi johnnyz, welcome. Yes the volume acting that way is normal. Some people like it that way, in that it gives a master volume control effect when the pickups are both on, i.e. you can turn all the sound down with one knob. Other people (me included) prefer a different wiring arrangement with individual volume control. The advantage of this is the ability to blend the pickup volumes when both are on but you lose the master volume function.

The pickup selector switch might just swivel around. If not it's an easy soldering job to swap the wires. If you don't want to take this on the shop should fix it. Minor problem, you don't have a flawed guitar, enjoy.

OK...bottom volume and tone controls are for the Bridge pickup, top volume and tone are for the neck pickup,

both, will work, when the switch is in the middle position, which is...in effect, blending the neck and bridge pickups

together. So, you have "individual" tone and volume controls, already. You could add switches or a push-pull

pot, in place of one of them, for coil tapping. But, as it is, it's correct.

CB

Archived