Gibson Brands Forums

pots and capacitors

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

for a vintage tone, would 250k audio tapers with .047uf cap(neck) and .022uf cap (bridge) work?

or shouild stick to 500k?

anyone ever tried it? im jusssssssst wonderin how itd sound

Haven't tried it so I can't give a definitive answer.

Gibson does use 300k audio taper volume pots on many of it's guitars.

As far as caps.... the lower the value the brighter the sound. After you decide on your pots, you can always hook

up a couple of short wires with alligator clips and try a few different value caps to decide what you like.

I know this isn't much help so maybe others will chime in.

Willy

BTW, I have 300k volumes in my Gibson L.P....never had any reason to change them.

I'm actually asking myself the same stuff, I know for sure that my 3 volumes and 1 tone will be 500k audio taper pots.

As for the caps, a few people told that sprague orange .022 uf caps are the best for a les paul. Im probly going for that. Can you tell us what your guitar your using?

I would go with 330K for humbucks no lower.

it would cut your treble too much, and I think it would really reduce the pickups flavor.

The caps are worth a shot, though.. but again.. are you sure you don't want to reverse those positions?

.022 neck, and .047 bridge is what I'd look at first.

the bigger the cap the darker the tone.

so I'd want to darken the bridge not the neck, which is already thicker sounding due to it's position.. .047 might give you mud there.

And don't forget.. there are other values...033uF etc.. and .015uF..

and keep the voltages low.. don't get 400V o 600V caps for guitar circuitry.

it isn't that the voltages change anything, it's just that you often pay more for higher V caps and there's no point to it.

.5V is high enough.. so I use sprague orange drops, 200V typically because I can also use them in other things.

As for brands.. they say Mallorys are a bit darker in amps.. I'm not sure this holds true in guitars, but hey.. they look neat.

Sozos, too, if you want a little Jimmy Page Mojo in there!

Let me see something.. ah..

Here's a fun read..

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx

TWANG

Guest icantbuyafender

the guitar id use is the standard transblack LP classic quilt top w/ burst buckers 2&3

youre right the neck normally isnt as bright a position so too much of a cap value would be like a treble bleed effecct

thanks twang

im gonna try that.

get to yall soon.

seeing as this topic has the same objectives as my idea, ill use it to answer my customization question.

I wanted to have master tone instead of two tones on my les paul, What if the master tone was a push/pull pot

(500k audio taper) In which each position would have a different capacitor!? Just to give more variety. I'm just wondering if i would have to wire the volume pots to each position (push or pull) thous spliting the three wires from the volume pots in half. If so, would i lose half the signal? Or not because there wouldnt be current on one end of the wire.

Im not so skilled in electric circutry so i might sound right out dumb asking this.

haha, thanks for letting me steal the topic:-#

Guest icantbuyafender

actually that is an interesting idea.... my project that ive been raving to my bandmates and friends about is a 8 yr old epi lp jr

( that weighs A TON!)

its got a A500k pushpull coil splitter to get single coil sounds, and a fender TBX tone control mod (a double stacked A250K type deal with a 1 meg resistor and a .022uf capacitor) that has been giving me the most responsive tone control ive had. props to fender. I get a strat sound with the the coil tap and a huge rock distortion to match a stack when full humbucker is engaged. coupled with the TBX that either cuts treble at 1-4 or cuts bass at 6-10 Ive gotten more from my bastard child custom than i really thought possible.

and thats just a one pickup workhorse guitar.

the possiblilities are endless and my project LP special II is up tp bat. looks like shes getting tapped coils and a TBX too

seeing as this topic has the same objectives as my idea' date=' ill use it to answer my customization question.

I wanted to have master tone instead of two tones on my les paul, What if the master tone was a push/pull pot

(500k audio taper) In which each position would have a different capacitor!? Just to give more variety. I'm just wondering if i would have to wire the volume pots to each position (push or pull) thous spliting the three wires from the volume pots in half. If so, would i lose half the signal? Or not because there wouldnt be current on one end of the wire.

[/quote']

Why go to a master tone on an LP? What are you going to do with the other tone

pot?

Anyway, to answer your question on pushpull controls used for tone caps. I use

them on my Joe Pass archtop. In the down position, it connects a .047uf cap and

when pulled up, a .022uf to give a brighter sound. The dpst pushpull swith is

placed in the circuit where the tone cap is connected on the tone pot.

No changes to the volume pots.

ok, so to sum up what my guitar will be like;

-3 volumes( as you can see, i have a 3 pup LP:d/ )

-master tone (I only need one really. And i tried so hard when buying this guitar to have 3 pups, I just feel that the mid pup is neglected without its own control)

-the selector Controls the mid pup ( humbucker/single coil/off )

- instead of having the selector choose which pups are activated, Ill just blend in different amounts of each pup with the independant volumes

-gfs pup for mid: http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59clalpazeh.html

+Ill have a few nice cosmetics done (new knobs, polish, grovers possibly)

You can also check the topic: hope it deosnt explode. It was where i decided what to do with my LP

Archived