Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul players (& others) -- TUNE in and turn on!

Steven Lister

“One of the things I can say that I discovered was tuning a Les Paul down a whole step, and playing it in standard position. That just gives you this great huge sound.”

-- From Feb 2008 GuitarPlayer magazine interview – John Fogerty, Creedence Clearwater Revival

Discover… this great link to scores of tunings and their associated key (& who’s using them, and how): http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WarrenAllen/tunings/tunings.htm

Vote… for your favorite of the ones in the poll and then tell us how/why you are using it (along with any other tunings you use and wish to share). This can be an alternate tuning resource guide if everyone participates.

------

My favorite? I’m with Fogerty. My Lester stays in D-to-D (aka Dropped Standard) because…

* great tuning for blues & blues/rock

* thumping bottom end -- double-duty -- added bass to riffs when you are w/o bass player

* covers a wide range of classic rock songs and blues standards

* Eb and concert tunings are both just a capo away (1 & 2 frets up)

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I keep 3 tuned D to D

I keep 2 tuned to standard 440

I keep 1 tuned to DropD

The last 1 is Dbl. Drop D

To me, some guitar/p'up combinations lend themselves better to alternate tunings than others.

Do you use your thumb on the low string on the guitars that are "drop tuned"? I do, and as you said, its a nice THUMP

if you're playing sans Bassist.

Standard tuning all ther way baby! I aint into that alternate crap, unless I do slide stuff on my acoolstic, then it's open D kinda like Thorogood tunes his I guess, but thats the only time I do alternate tuning.

Do you use your thumb on the low string on the guitars that are "drop tuned"? I do' date=' and as you said, its a nice THUMP if you're playing sans Bassist.[/quote']

Never figured out how to wrap my thumb over the top of the fretboard -- I've been shown how but my hand is too small.

But, I learned on acoustic, so my full barre chord skill is good (1st finger across) and then either pleck the "D" string or thumbpick it finger-style.

CURIOUS? - No one's favoring open tunings

--- must be favored by acoustic blues and Sissycaster players... LOL

BTW - before anyone goes balastic, I'll add that my Sissycaster stays open-tuned (G, D, A) for slide and Keef-inspired work.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived