Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me about the Sheraton II's neck size ...

Big Arm

Similar, to a bit thinner, even. But, very easy, to get used to! (AKA "Spoiled by")... ;>)

However...IF you have Big hands, it might be too small/thin? In that case, Epi's "Lucille," with it's

somewhat "fatter" neck, might be more to your liking? But, if you have normal to smaller hands,

you'll LOVE the Sheraton's neck profile.

CB

Thanks for the response. I have, probably, normal sized hands, certainly not large. I have a Dot Deluxe Flametop that I leave at work. I like it fine, but I prefer the neck on my Gibson better. I like the idea of the varitone on the BB King, but I think it has a large neck, which I may not like as well. I am working on string bending and am finding it easier for me to do on the Gibson because I can leave my thumb up along the side of the neck and reach easier with the fingers to bend. I guess with work, I could learn to play on both sizes.

on the other.. hand..

chuck berry had huge hands.. and played a 335.

people tend to forget chuck but that dude could stretch over about half the board from the top.. and play double stops doin' it.

You'd like the sheri!

TWANG

Thanks for the response. I have' date=' probably, normal sized hands, certainly not large. I have a Dot Deluxe Flametop that I leave at work. I like it fine, but I prefer the neck on my Gibson better. I like the idea of the varitone on the BB King, but I think it has a large neck, which I may not like as well. I am working on string bending and am finding it easier for me to do on the Gibson because I can leave my thumb up along the side of the neck and reach easier with the fingers to bend. I guess with work, I could learn to play on both sizes.[/quote']

The Epi "Lucille" is a great guitar! You'd get used to it's neck, in pretty short oder, I'd guess. I have

the Gibson "Lucille" and it definitely has a chunckier neck, than any of my Epiphone semi's, BUT...it's

a dream to play, and I've never had any trouble getting used to the neck on it, at all. So....???

As to Chuck Berry (and others) with LONG fingers using the ES-335, 345, 355 (and their various neck profiles),

I guess what I meant by BIG hands was not so much long fingers, but heavier hands overall. Where a

narrower or thinner neck, might make clean notes a bit more difficult. Not impossible, just not as easy

as that of a bit wider and thicker neck might allow. Some, for instance, don't like the '61 SG, because it

has a wider fingerboard, and they prefer the somewhat narrower version, on the current or even later

'60's SGs. I happen to love the '61's neck, width and all. You know...if there's a will, there's a way, to

make any neck work for you. But, people do have their prefernces, and rightly so. I play a Rickenbacker

12-string, a lot (talk about crowded!), and have had to alter my fingerings accordingly. No Big Deal!

You just do it, if you want to bad enough...you know?

CB

I have very large hands and typically go for baseball fat necks - my favorites are Allpart TMNF-Fat, Warmoth Fatback, etc. That said, I find the Sheraton to be thinner but it has sort of a U carve to it, to where it has a bit more shoulder and fills out your hand a bit. When I'm playing in 1st position I notice it's thinner than my other guitars, but once I start moving up the neck, it's super comfortable.

Archived