Gibson Brands Forums

dove/hummingbird

TWANG

yeh. I knew that!

thanks though. *s*

Was hoping someone had played them both..

But I can't even find a dove review..

TWANG

Well..I own a 2007 Epi Hummingbird (used) and I have tried out a couple of Doves. I didn't mind the sound too much from what I remember. They are not super loud guitars but again I was in a noisy music store. The Grover tuning pegs are very good. They did have the crappy factory strings on them and needed a setup but overall they had a better finish than some of the Hummingbirds I have seen. I think that if anyone does choose either a Dove or a Hummingbird they should at least swap the plastic saddle for bone or tusq and have it setup properly. This will make a big difference in tone and playability. When I bought my used Hummingbird the previous owner had already swapped the nut and saddle for tusq and had it setup. I must say it plays and sounds really good! I think it would sound even better with medium PB strings on it but for now it has 12-54 (lights) 80/20 bronzes.

I've played them both... once in a single GAS, lust session in the local Gibson dealer's walk in hummidor. My preference is the Hummingbird. I am partial to the warm and woody. My preference is Les Paul tone over the SG because the LP has a warmer, woodier tone.

I really can't speak for your preferences. You'll have to play them yourself and decide for yourself. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Not as loud as an AJ, but they both have a most beautiful balanced tone across the neck.

My suggestion would be a bit different, take a look at your guitar collection and fill a hole. If you don't have a spruce over mahogany model, go with the HB; if you don't see a maple guit in your conservatory, obviously the Dove is for you.

As for me, I'm too stocked up with dreadnoughts, have 3 right now and so I'm GASing over different body styles. I don't have a maple, don't have a true Jumbo (my AJ500RC is much closer to the overall size of a Dreadnought), don't have a 12-string, don't have a cedar topped guitar with onboard electronics, that sort of stuff. Right now my most major case of GAS is for an Epi EF500RCCE, a used one in as-new condition with OHSC (Masterbilt OHSC!!) went for under $500 on fleabay last week, but I just today started to hear the rumbles for a Spalted Maple guitar, too--unfortunately, as it's a dread body, it just ain't happenin' unless I thin that part of the herd.

Dugly :cool:

:D/

My suggestion would be a bit different' date=' take a look at your guitar collection and fill a hole. If you don't have a spruce over mahogany model, go with the HB; if you don't see a maple guit in your conservatory, obviously the Dove is for you.

As for me, I'm too stocked up with dreadnoughts, have 3 right now and so I'm GASing over different body styles. I don't have a maple, don't have a true Jumbo (my AJ500RC is much closer to the overall size of a Dreadnought), don't have a 12-string, don't have a cedar topped guitar with onboard electronics, that sort of stuff. Right now my most major case of GAS is for an Epi EF500RCCE, a used one in as-new condition with OHSC (Masterbilt OHSC!!) went for under $500 on fleabay last week, but I just today started to hear the rumbles for a Spalted Maple guitar, too--unfortunately, as it's a dread body, it just ain't happenin' unless I thin that part of the herd.

Dugly :cool: [/quote']

That's not a bad plan. Fill a hole.

"Conservatory". I like that. Can I use it Dug? I'm changing the name of 'My Music Room' to "The Conservatory". It has a real high class ring to it. :D/

It's a big hole. no acoustic right now.

I was tempted to go yamaha.. but I went to GC and was unimpressed.

Of course, they seemed to have all crap in there, no matter what the brand.

Been looking at Fenders because the nicest ones at GC were fenders.

Found a Tak, with a cedar top, and was very tempted.

I really hate to mail order an acoustic.. having to send it back would totally suck, and cost money.

In the end though I think I'll go sweetwater. though they don't return my emailed questions!.. and get a dove.

I kinda wanted to avoid a full size dreadnaught, really.

I saw couple smaller size acous/elecs at gc.. but lord. the necks were like roller coasters...

Epis got that new smaller size ac/elec but it's too pricey for my right now.

and the other one from them is like 200.00 with a bag and amp so it's probably pretty sucky.

Ah price.. what a drag.

I'm hoping to come out with two.... I like to have one detuned.. but the days of the really decent yamahas, like I used to have, or Alvarez, seem gone by the way.

TWANG

It's a big hole. no acoustic right now.

In the end though I think I'll go sweetwater. though they don't return my emailed questions!.. and get a dove.

TWANG

Yeah, that's a big hole!

Contact Sweetwater by their toll free number, they'll set you up with a sales-engineer, you'll deal with that person from the get go and (s)he will return your emails and phone calls.....if that person ever departs Sweetwater, your contact info will be transferred to another sales engineer and they will contact you to introduce themselves and offer whatever help they can provide......at least that's the way it worked for me, in over 2 years trying to source an AJ500RC, I went through two sales engineers. Every call or email was answered, even when I know it couldn't have been a pleasant call to make b/c of Epiphone's constant delivery delays.

As for the Dove, I say good choice. I would have said the same thing if you'd chosen the HB. Both are fine guitars and probably, IMHO, represent a stellar value at their price point. I've said it before, will say it again.....as much as I hate to admit it, I still have a case of GAS for a HB, even after spending over $9K within the past year on higher-end guitars, I still like the HB's feel and the look and the sound and....well, about everything. If it were me, now, I'd have chosen the Dove, too, but that's just b/c I already own three spruce over mahogany guitars, two of which are dreadnought designs, and no maple guitars.....there's one of the holes for me!

Keep hanging around, get the acoustic bug, you'll develop a large enough collection to have holes. It's part of this addiction we all share.....

Dugly O:)

Archived