Gibson Brands Forums

Is it easier, and safer to do this with the epiphone dot?

slasher1319

Hi, I saw online that if I wanted to switch pickups on a semihollowbody like the dot, I could snip the old pickup wire and solder the new pickup wire to that, Instead of stretching through the f hole to reach the pots. Is this easier, for someone who would rather do the pickup switch themself. I dont live in the US and there are no guitar stores around me. Also can i do this with the epiphone lucille too? thanks

I would recommend that you practice soldering before you try it on the guitar. It is very easy to do. Just make sure that you are comfortable with doing it AND when you are doing it. You can find examples on you tube. Good luck!

Sometimes, with cheaper pickups, I'll trim the wires very close to the pickup and then add good shielded wire to run to the

controls.

works fine.

get some heat shrink tubing so you can cover the solder joint.

and if you want to use the pickups again, leave at least an inch of wire on each lead.

I make each end of the wires into hooks.. then clamp them together..

try not to leave your iron the solder connection very long.. heat travels up the wires and since you can't put a heat clamp on and have it be effective.. the wires are covered.. be fast!

that way you wont melt the pickup winding coating.

and don't use a high wattage soldering iron..

I find solder with silver content melts faster and hardens harder.. so it's worth an extra dollar or two to use that.

don't forget to slide your heat shrink tubing up the wire and far enough away from the solder that it doesn't melt prematurely.

TWANG

What I did with my Dot Studio was add a couple of quick connectors to the ends od the new pup wires and the in situ wires. Now when I want to swap out pups for any reason all I've got to do is disconnect the old and connect the new ones.

Archived