Gibson Brands Forums

Grover locking tuners try out

TWANG

Finally got the tele build done and shipped.

Used the new locking grovers with the rear button.

Fit to the headstock just fine.

I believe this set was mid sized? maybe not, I need to check.

But the buttons felt a bit larger, and the screw hole was different but it covered the old one.

The 3X3 tuners have the 6:00 down position screw hole and same size shaft as regular grovers, so they'll

fit your epis with grovers no problem.

it took me a bit to figure out how to use them well. but it's pretty easy.

you string through the hole..

now.. you do have to crank the button back enough to pull the center shaft down to let the screw hole in.. and you do have to learn how far..

if you go too far then you have to push on the button while you turn it to get the threads back in the tuner.

But that's easy enough.. you can tell by the feel and you can look into the peg shaft hole and see the center shaft disappear.. just a question of doing it once!

so string through hole pointed toward nut.. tune to pitch.

stretch strings, as usual, retune.. repeat as needed until string stretch is ok..

and lock!

yer done except for snipping off the extra string length.

They look really sharp.. and they work perfectly well, though different at first.

and fast string changes plus all the bending you want.

Nice!

TWANG

I had the chrome on order, it was part of a long list of stuff and the only thing that got back ordered. I looked around and couldn't find them anywhere else except fleabay for >$80, so I'll just have to wait. It seems Stewmac has an exclusive on the locking. I gave up my quest for exact replacements for the original Geni Grover knockoffs. It's OK, it'll be a few weeks before the black Geni is ready for hardware at my pace. But I did manage to pick up yet another Geni (no. 3), a standard in red for $300 on Craigslist. It's not nearly in the 9/10 condition of the sunburst Deluxe, but it sounds and plays the same (fantastic) and it lets me keep the Deluxe as a case queen. It was actullay a lot nicer than the CL posting led me to believe, athough I had to give a serious bath and a haircut to get rid of the cigarette smell. (The case still stinks.) I'm more conviced than ever that these are one of the most highly underrated and under-appreciated classics out there:

P1000630.jpg

P1000632.jpg

P1000631.jpg

PS: The Stew/mac price for the Roto-Grip Full-size 3+3 locking Grovers is $62.50 + shipping. Can your guy do any better?

Thanks,

I've used the locking tuners on my Strat for years now. I like 'em so much I recently replaced my Grovers with the Locking type. I really like the tuners. Easy to change strings and really stay in tune.

Brian.. yes, I can do better.

hey that's a cool looking guitar.. needs one of my pickguards though. *L*

sprinkle baking soda in case.. let sit for a couple of hours.. vacuum out..

safer than carpet fresh.. and destroys odors.. may have to do it twice.. but it works.

TWANG

Archived