Gibson Brands Forums

Which Masterbilt Guitar should I choose for my next acoustic purchase?

vang0341

I have been researching about the masterbilt series and would like to gather some information and suggestions on which specific guitar to buy. I am a beginner in acoustic playing and currently I am interested in fingerstyle music (Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, General classical music etc Doyle Dykes With or without you to be more specific :P ). I have narrowed my interest into Two different masterbilt which are EF-500M or EF-500R (EF-500RA if I can afford).

I can not come to the decision to go with either Rosewood or Mahogany for the back and sides. This is what I've found out regarding these woods. Mahogany over time will sound sharper when notes are being played and a bit warm. Rosewood will have a more sustaining sound and midrange clarity. I've gather some opinions from other communities and have summed up this, for smaller bodied acoustics, rosewood is preferred, but bigger Bodies (DR) mahogany is the way to go. This could just be more of a personal preference.

If I can afford both, I would buy both :D/ . These two guitars from what I've heard are awesome for the price. Please feel free to post any feedback on these guitars and your experience with them. And also please do suggest other guitars. Does these guitar come with Grover Tunings?

Thank You.

I own an EF500-R and love it. Choosing a tonewood depends on what kind of music you play and how.

As a rule of thumb though, I'd say that if you play alone, rosewood rules. However, if you play with others a lot, mahogany cuts through and sounds more prominent.

Your mileage may vary.

I have been researching about the masterbilt series and would like to gather some information and suggestions on which specific guitar to buy. I have narrowed my interest into Two different masterbilt which are EF-500M or EF-500R (EF-500RA if I can afford). ...also please do suggest other guitars. Thank You.

Do you anticipate playing onstage, where a pickup might be needed? If so, consider the EF500RCCE. This piece has IMHO the ideal tonewood combination, cedar top for immediacy and mellow tone, rosewood for great midrange and bass production. A bit more pricey than the EF500M or EF500R, but not that much, I've sourced one at $700 with an Epiphone Masterbilt rigid foam type case (these cases are nice, I have one already and would gladly buy another). Here's a link so you can see:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=268&CollectionID=15

If you are willing to buy from the used market, I'd really suggest you look for an AJ500RC. Same tonewood combination as the EF500RCCE in a larger body style (the "Advanced Jumbo" body is almost the same size as a dreadnought, although a different shaped body, slope shouldered) and a cool retro look with a 12-fretter body (larger body= greater volume and projection) and a slot-head. You'll need to buy these from the used market, though, as Epiphone recently discontinued the model and others are unable to find new pieces anywhere. Here's a link if you'd like to look:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=247&CollectionID=15

As for the choice between mahogany and rosewood, most luthiers consider rosewood to be the ideal wood for the backs/sides, density matters here, but the sound is not "organic" enough for some of us who like a woody tone. I have guits with both, but the guits have different tonewoods for the soundboard so I can't give a side by side comparison.......might be best for you to visit a B&M music store and play identical models with both tonewoods, then you can hear the difference for yourself and make that decision. It truly is a matter of personal taste, and you don't want to trust anyone else's taste (not even mine, sad to say 8-[ ) when you are considering an investment of this magnitude. It might be difficult to find the EF models at an Epi dealer, but you should be able to locate the dreadnought models (the DR series) and Epi makes both DR500M and DR500R models, so there's your comparison.

Good luck.....best bet is to play every one you can get your hands on and buy the particular one that really speaks to you, buying unseen is always a risk and particularly from the fleaBay market.

Dugly :-k

I did an honest to goodness in depth search for an acoustic/electric for about a year, and passed up many that just did not suit my needs. That included Taylors, Martins, and others in the sub-$1000 price range. I wanted a keeper, and I found it in a Masterbilt AJ500ME. I absolutely LOVE the rosewood back and sides. I've never heard such projection from a guitar, but I'd love to try that cedar top with it... The esonic 2 pickup system is very impressive to me as well. I am a big fan of the masterbilts and I'm turning my friends on to them as well. You're making a wise choice either way.

For what it is worth, here is my opinion. I have an Epi EF-500R, and I love it. It is the guitar I play most. I also have a Guild GAD30-PCE. Paduak, as I understand, it a variety of mahoghany. Both are all solid wood guitars, and both have spruce tops. This is as close as I can get to comparing similar sized guitars with different sides/backs. I like both.

I agree with Dugly, in that if you want to play alone, rosewood is the way to go, or rather the way I would go. However, I do like mahoghany for the brightness.

Given the choice as to which I would buy if I only could have one or the other, I would choose the EF-500R. I like the neck better and the sound is very pleasing to my ear. Not to mention that it projects very well.

Hope this helps you.

Pete

Might as well jump in with an opinion, everyone else has.

The choice of tonewood in a guitar is personal and subjective. I've always been partial to te warmth of mahogany, and I own an AJ500M that I really like a lot. Still, the descriptions of sound produced by various woods are meaningless until you play and listen to both.

I 'd suggest that you find a store which has both guitars, and then play them both. Buy the one you prefer. Since you are something of a beginner, you could bring a friend who plays and listen while HE plays both.

Don't purchase both. These are two very similar instruments. After you have played awhile, you will develop more definite preferences. At that time, if you wish, you can buy a second instrument that offers something different in the way of sound and playability.

Good luck. Both the EF500R and EF500M are fine axes, and great to learn on. Way back in the day, I learned on a Kay with heavy strings and not so great action. Any of the Masterbilts would have been considered a great luxury !

Thank you community for responding. These posts are very nice and informative, I appreciate it. It seems the stores around me ,for the moment, does not carry any of these models for me to try it out ( I will soon though, once shipment comes thru). I do have a few questions. How does the V-neck style affect your playing abilities? Does it feel better, contribute in any way? Would you prefer the traditional style neck shapes?

I do have a few questions. How does the V-neck style affect your playing abilities? Does it feel better' date=' contribute in any way? Would you prefer the traditional style neck shapes?[/quote']

The V-neck on my AJ500RC took a while to get use to....at first it sort of felt like a very chunky neck, but it isn't.

For me, it's a great reminder of where my left thumb is, so it has had a postive effect on my playing. I learned in classical guitar posture and that includes constant reminders to keep the thumb at the middle of the back of the neck. Every now and then I'd catch myself getting "lazy" and letting the thumb slip over to the bass string side of the neck, but the V-neck seems to have had a positive effect on that. I make sure my thumb is on the trebble side of the V and the increased thickness at the "peak" of the V provides a kinesthetic reminder that the thumb is starting to slip, and now that I'm getting use to it I seem to notice that barrre chording, particularly between the 5th and 12th frets, is easier with the thumb at the "angle" that this neck sort of elicits. At first I didn't like it, now I do. I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than my Breedlove or my 1989 MIJ Washburn, both of which have great necks with traditional profiles, just different.

Having just said all that, though, I'd really have liked the chance to see what an AJ500RC plays like with a traditional neck profile, especially a very fast neck like that on my Breedlove 000 Revival. Both are slot-headed 12-fretter designs.

Dugly O:)

Archived