Gibson Brands Forums

Got a new Dot - QC problems, and questions.

stonecutter2

you can see the tuner has been struck hard and it ripped the screw hole crooked.

unscrew it. put it back where it was with a toothpick and you probably couldn't even see where it had torn too.

TWANG

I considered doing something like this, but then decided I didn't want to spend $300 on a guitar that might have a loose/rattling tuner down the line.

I considered doing something like this' date=' but then decided I didn't want to spend $300 on a guitar that might have a loose/rattling tuner down the line. [/quote']

Good call. You don't want to be screwing around with tooth picks (???) on a NEW guitar. I'd save that sort of "creative problem solving" for old instruments you've become attached to and just can't part with despite flaws. Having bought a new instrument, you are certainly entitled to one without defects.

I considered doing something like this' date=' but then decided I didn't want to spend $300 on a guitar that might have a loose/rattling tuner down the line. [/quote']

I could understand doing something if the Dot had been bought used or as a Factory Second but it was purchased new you shouldn't have to do anything, I know that we are talking about a $400.00 guitar not a $2-3000 guitar but either way that's unacceptable QC.

mgm

I got a response from Gibson that said if I can't do an exchange with the dealer, then I can get it serviced under warranty by any authorized service center, or ship it directly to them for warranty work. I have no doubt that Woodwind & Brasswind will exchange this Dot for another, or I can get a different guitar...I'm considering the made in Mexico Fender Strat in Lake Placid Blue, and just dealing with my cracked neck Dot until it falls apart or something.

I didn't get an answer to my question about whether the Dots are still being inspected by someone in the US or not - my old Dot had a sticker indicating that someone had inspected it in the US, the damaged one that I just received did not. I'm not sure if that means they've stopped having anyone in the US inspect them, or if it means that whoever did it didn't put their sticker on it, and let a bad product go through the system.

Given the recent output of questionable exports from China, I think it would be unwise for Epiphone to blindly trust their production quality.

From what I noticed

the Unsung China built Epiphones are missing '100% Inspected and set up in the USA by' stickers.

Daewon built Epi's ALWAYS have crooked tuners, but Unsung China is better about the alignment of the tuners to the holes drilled. A Very Sore spot on Dalian China/Daewon built Epiphones (The Rally Factory)

Stonecutter- regarding your cracked neck Dot: Last month my wife accidently knocked my 2 year old Dot Deluxe over on its face and it broke the headstock clean off. I had no idea how fragile guitars are in that situation but with all the string tension and the slender transition from the neck to the headstock bad things happen. I was very disappointed but took it to a luthier who for $75 glued it up and said the glued joint would be stronger than it had been before. I suspect he is probably right. It plays great and for another $70 he will make it cosmetically perfect if I want. It sounds like you were happier with your original Dot. Why not either play it as is until it breaks, if ever, or have a luthier look at it and advise if breaking it off and glueing it would be a reasonable solution.

In the interest of making lemonade out of lemons- my wife felt so bad about breaking my guitar that she let me, with my GC 20% off coupon, buy a brand new LP Ultra ll faded cherry that I have been having a lot of fun with, just wish the neck was as long as the Dot. Regarding Epi QC, I was lucky enough to try the LP out of an unopened box at the store for over an hour, plugged in, not plugged in to listen for string buzz etc., and not finding any problems bought it. It had the inspected in the USA sticker and of course was made in Korea not China, and was very well set up- low buzz free action and needed only minor intonation adjustment. Very happy with the guitar but it was more expensive than a Dot. Its great to be GAS free for a while.

BTW I also don't believe the crooked tuner on your new Dot was installed that way. The cardboard boxes the guitars come in all the way from China or Korea will not prevent a tuner getting knocked out of line if dropped.

Goes to show you how much "Genuine Epiphone" means. Have you seen these?

XV-900 (Click)

Xaviere Guitars! Yeah, I check out the LP copies every time I hit the Guitarfetish/GFS

website, XV-500 series, specifically. For $209.00 it catches your attention, but I've

never played one, or had one in hand to check fit and finish, and the headstock

design seems a little dull. HOWEVER, if it should PLAY like a mo-fo, I would consider

one for $209.00. The other guitars are priced low, but I haven't been bitten by the

hollow and semi-hollow bug YET. I DO find myself looking at the DOT Studio quite a

bit and thinking: Hmmmm......

Anyone out there OWN one? Can you provide input as far as quality?

Archived