Gibson Brands Forums

Always kinda wanted an "Allen Woody" base...

charlie brown

I'm with Charlie Brown on this one. I've been GASing hard for one of these. I've never held one, or even heard one, but the concept has caught my attention. I'm close to pulling the trigger and dealing with whatever shows up in the mail. Man, do I love a short scale bass.

Any other opinions?

Dylan

I know I miss the guy. Saw him so many times w/ Allmans and Mule...Gov.'t Mule being my favorite...one of the times I saw them was in a small club in Little Rock...North Missisipi Allstars opened up for them...the Allstars bass player was sick, so Allen stood in for him-played both shows...a good 4 hours all together. He didn't hold back at all and my GOD did that guy play hard and well. What a loss. I'd like a Woody bass someday, sure!

Ah, yes: the Allen Woodie bass. I have a friend with one. He was six basses, and this is one of them.

I call it his "Woodie Allen bass" because it is paradoxically light. It is the anti-jazz bass.

I can say I am not a fan of this bass at all (but a big Mule fan). When I had to sell my number 1 bass, he offered to loan me this bass, and rather than play the balsa wood Allan Woodie, I went without. He even has a poster of Allen Woodie playing the same type of bass next to his Allen Woodie hanging up on the wall.

I do suggest this bass if you are a huge Allen Woodie fan: I have owned many signature models of guitars and I have to admit that you get a connection to the artist whose model you are playing.

I am sorry to say I never got to see 'ol Woodie play, and Mule will never be the same for me without him.

I've been studying the Woody ltd. quite a bit since buying my Schecter. I like what I've learned about the short scale, both for comfort and tone, but that's not based on personal experience...yet. And I like the fact that a portion of the sales is donated to an educational fund for Woody's daughter, Savannah.

But most of all it's because it speaks to me every time I look at it. It's too freakin' sweet to pass on much longer.

Yeah, I'm not a "bass player" per se...but, I've always wanted on of these, a Hofner (Beatle) bass, and and old EB-3.

(I don't want MUCH...LOL!)

With one of those (or all, if I was lucky) I'm sure I could get a lot more interested in "Bass!" I like playing it, but the

big (heavy) and long scale versions are SO much different, than my guitars. With the shorter scale versions, it's not

such a drastic change, for a "non-bass" player, to make...you know?

CB

Yeah' date=' I'm not a "bass player" per se...but, I've always wanted on of these, a Hofner (Beatle) bass, and and old EB-3.

(I don't want MUCH...LOL!)

With one of those (or all, if I was lucky) I'm sure I could get a lot more interested in "Bass!" I like playing it, but the

big (heavy) and long scale versions are SO much different, than my guitars. With the shorter scale versions, it's not

such a drastic change, for a "non-bass" player, to make...you know?

CB[/quote']

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm no bass player, either. Started out a couple hundred years ago on drums so bass seems a natural progression. Been pickin' guitars for 50 years, too, so it's not like picking up something entirely cold and new. But I've found the 34" scale to be a bit of a stretch for these old hands. I continue to work out with it, knowing that I'll eventually develop the muscle-memory and moves that will make playing more comfortable. But the Woody bass spoke to me the first time I saw it, even before I was aware of its short scale. That makes it all the more attractive, though. When circumstances permit, an Allen Woody will join my arsenal. Hope it's sooner rather than later.

I had no idea that the sales of the Woody bass go to his daughter. I would buy one for that reason alone.

It's something I only recently discovered myself' date=' although Epi announced it 3 years ago, upon the release of the new bass. And I'm with you on that, it's a very worth cause and what appears to be a worthy instrument.

• 1 year later...

When did Epiphone first release the Allen Woody Rumblekat, & where was it made?

/thread.necromancy/

He was working with Epiphone on it right before he died, so about 2004-05? That would put it as being Korean... and it probably still is, seeing as it's not a huge seller. It's not discontinued, is it?

Also I have more 'Short-scale Basses Rant' if anyone cares...

/thread.necromancy/

He was working with Epiphone on it right before he died, so about 2004-05? That would put it as being Korean... and it probably still is, seeing as it's not a huge seller. It's not discontinued, is it?

Also I have more 'Short-scale Basses Rant' if anyone cares...

Rant on man!

Perhaps a new thread?

I bought a Woody and have been extremely happy with it![size="5"][/size]

I like the way it feels, sounds, and it also is very nice looking under lights.

I have always preferred a bass tone over a brighter sound and this bass delivers on that!

I was worried that the mini-humbuckers wouldn't deliver in volume, but they have a nice growl and presence to them.

The neck is very easy to move about on,has no dead spots and there is no tone or volume dropoff anywhere on it.

I jam blues with it and back up accoustic players with it and itworks in any application, so for me its a very

handy player to have at hand. A lot of my older basses are good in one specific style or application and do not

have that versatility. I can pack the Woody up for a gig and know I am covered. Of the basses I own, there are about

10 I love to play, 5-6 that are comfortable to play, 5-6 that I own for specific tasks, and only one I don't like to play (EBM-4).

The Woody fits in with the ones I really love to play....It begs to be played. If you are thinking of buying one,

go for it! My next quest will be for a Zenith Bass, when I can afford it. I have people that see me unpack an Epi,

you know that condescending look...Then when the music starts, their eyes are saucers! Epiphones are great players, and its

in the heart, not on any assembly line that makes the music. Get one!!!

Archived