Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone give me some more info. on this epiphone super strat?

Azagthoth

thanks for the 635i info. i didn't know it was poplar. i know it was solid wood and was thinking alder. i have the remains of one. i could always glue it!=;

the single coil alnicos are pretty shrill next to the cheapy "designed by duncan" pickups i have. i have no idea where my bridge or humbucker went as someone remaining nameless had a cleaning fit before my last house move.

it was nice and white but had a high action i didn't like at the time and it never stayed in tune while using the wammy. it was only just a step up from the washburn g5v i had. if you ever look into the humbucker i'd love to know the magnets used or the resistance' date=' or if you have any more info or pics i'd be a happy man, thanks.[/quote']

Yeah It's poplar,Mine is 'selected hardwood' but im not complaining,The sustain is excellent,and the tone isn't bad either.Bit heavy though.

Took me ages getting information on these strat's,very elusive little thing's indeed.Thats funny your guitar didn't stay in tune,What bridge did it have?A licenced floyd or bendmaster like mine?Mine stay's in tune really well,But i lost the whammy,So im only going by bend's and makeshift 'grab and tug' method with the trem haha.

I tried to get an exact spec on the humbucker and single's,But the information does not seem to exist,Searched high and low and epiphone could not answer me either.Just that they are stock samick produced.Im replacing my humbucker with a bill lawrence,So when i do i shall report back my findings when i disect the left-over stock.

Heres a better quality pic of my guitar,Same pickup's as your's.the last ones wernt very good!

014.jpg

Oh and in regards to action,I believe the action wasnt designed to be high on these guitars,especially with my bridge,Its set as low as possible,I even had it set up by a pro and the lowest we can get it without buzz is around 4mm at the 12th.I would love it lower,but i guess these guitar's were aimed at a certain type of player,and quite a few of the glam player's liked thier action high.

i think it said "licenced" but i'm not sure it was a floyd...

ah yes, i just read your post, it had a schaller. i remember now as i had the floyd on the g5v. that one wouldn't stay in tune either! i haven't had much luck with those types of trems and now i also own a "vintage vrs100." it has a non locking floating trem that has problems too but i spotted on that that the blades were worn. i will have to block that one. but it'll give more sustain!

as far as the action goes i perfer it high over buzz now. at the time i was comparing it to an sg that had been set up and fret leveled so you know why i said it felt high. anyway i will get another if i can find one cheap. i liked it when i played it in the shop and i always wanted a white guitar. but what i was really looking for was a guitar with emgs. i think i was fooled by the pickup covers. i think i would still prefered these over ceramics even though in other guitars they sound a bit thin. i have tried a good pickups now and i don't like ceramics.

i think it said "licenced" but i'm not sure it was a floyd...

ah yes' date=' i just read your post, it had a schaller. i remember now as i had the floyd on the g5v. that one wouldn't stay in tune either! i haven't had much luck with those types of trems and now i also own a "vintage vrs100." it has a non locking floating trem that has problems too but i spotted on that that the blades were worn. i will have to block that one. but it'll give more sustain!

as far as the action goes i perfer it high over buzz now. at the time i was comparing it to an sg that had been set up and fret leveled so you know why i said it felt high. anyway i will get another if i can find one cheap. i liked it when i played it in the shop and i always wanted a white guitar. but what i was really looking for was a guitar with emgs. i think i was fooled by the pickup covers. i think i would still prefered these over ceramics even though in other guitars they sound a bit thin. i have tried a good pickups now and i don't like ceramics.[/quote']

Yeah i blocked the trem in my guitar and it sing's for days,For the low end of the series i was extremely impressed by this guitar,The even better and amazing thing is there isnt a single nick on it,it just needed a set up and a fresh set of strings.

Yeah im the same.I play metal and as soon as i got this i was adament in having the action as low as possible,but with these guitar's its not really possible,the way this paticular bridge is designed anyway.Hopefully you will find another,I honestly didn't even know epiphone did strat's before i saw this hanging in a pawn shop window!They are so hard to get but the nice thing is because information is so hard to find you can normally get one very cheap,and they are probably the best bang for buck guitar i have ever had.

I can see how you were led astray in regard's to the pickups,The 'I' really does intrique me though..i would honestly love to know what it stand's for.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prolife: They're Samick Vantage pickups. Most Epis made by Samick in the '80s had them. Easily identifiable by their unique three-screw PUP height adjustment system. The "I"s are probably just logos screened onto the PUP covers to make them seem like they're unique to the 31-Series.

Swarming spirit: No.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hello all, just new to the forums. i did a little searching and found this thread.

i also own a pro II (i think that' what it's called) but it doesn't have the serial number sticker on it anymore. got it off a fellow musician here in manila for Php 8000 (roughly $200) ... i like how it sounds and feels great in my hands...is it something rare - because this is the only one i've seen locally thus far...

DSC07870_zpsc9b35c11.jpg

DSC07871_zps50ad57f6.jpg

DSC07877_zpsfc257d50.jpg

DSC07877_zpsfc257d50.jpg

DSC07880_zps024f126c.jpg

Archived