Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dove pics

TWANG

The wind was crazy so some pics a tad fuzzy with the guitar shaking.

Current changes: dunlop straplocks, Tusq nut, Bone compensated saddle, tortoise truss rod cover.

Headstock, original truss rod cover

Dhstk.jpg

The Tusq Nut

DoveNut1.jpg

Dflaw.jpg

Tortoise truss rod cover

Dtrcover.jpg

tuners, rear

Drstck.jpg

action

Dactn.jpg

neck body joint

Dnbjnt.jpg

back

Dback.jpg

pickguard/soundhole

Dgrd.jpg

front/top

Dbody.jpg

Dfrnt.jpg

TWANG

Sexy. ha! Well, maybe. Depends. If I get G.A.S. for something else.. you might get yourself a Dove.

Right now, I'm liking it more and more.

Stuck a set of D'Addario bluegrass hybrids.. little bigger on the low 3.. plenty of tone now.

I think she's opening up a bit.. I bang a lot of chords on it.. get that top moving.

The action is low enough that it likes a softer touch.. but you can lay into it with care.. that is.. if you don't slop you wont get any noise..

which is nice action for me.

Happy to say the neck is holding up very well... nothing squirrely at all about this Dove.

TWANG

Thanks!

I've been messing with the nut and saddle...

deepening the slots tick by tick.. until I get each string as low in the nut as possible..

same with the bridge.. they were both cut quick and close and now I'm trying different strings

and adjusting as I go.

The result is that the little extra stiffness I got out of the bluegrass strings is gone...you can barre at the lower frets almost unconsciously..

I think the sound is much better.. it needed some meat on the lower strings to get the top moving.

I'm ordering bridge pins today, and a set of the locking tuners. and probably a piezo.

The nice thing is.. you can get some excellent sounds out of the Dove, and you can get it playing very sweetly.

When I'm satisfied with it as is.. I'll go over the frets.. and at that point it should be as close to perfect as the guitar can get.

Then I'll take it down to guitar denter and compare it to stuff there and try out acoustic amps.

She's bright. There's no escaping that maple. Use a thin pick on this thing and the highs just leap out..

it's make a great nashville tuned acoustic.

But I tuned it a full step low.. and I love it. I wanted one acoustic for tuning low. and this works out perfectly..I get more depth, detuned, and the action is just excellent with no noise..

So yep.. this is a keeper after all.. and I'm liking it more all the time, too.

TWANG

My replacement bird should be here today hope this one is ok...where did you get the nut and saddle. I'm new to acoustic , my 80 Gibson es335s was set up when I bought it and still play well..seems like acoustics require some tlc..

I got 'em from me, 'cause I make bone saddles and am a dealer in parts.

The replacement nut idea is worth recommending to anyone.. not only does the original plastic suck, the different tusq size gives you just enough room at the lower frets to play really comfortably.

I have to say.. bridge saddle nut truss rod.. tweaking these carefully on an acoustic really makes 'em fast and improves the sound.

Then the right strings and you're good to go.

TWANG

• 7 months later...

Nice! I'm sure that dove sounds great. I have a question for you, tho. Where did you get that tusq nut? I broke the factory nut on mine and every one i found that worked just wasn't set to specs. Either too short or tall. I need one exactly the size of the original, but around here there's no one skilled enough to make one from blank. Do you know of anyplace online that sells factory replacement nuts?

Archived