Gibson Brands Forums

p-rail neck or bridge????????????

wardog

ok, i fell of the horse and cop'd a sg jr in all black from musician's friend (89 bucks). why, the mod bug is hitting hard. So, i decided to put a p-rail (ha also, 89 bucks) in it to give it booyah power.

Problem, the p-rail was mis-labeled as a bridge on mf's label and when i got home.. Dang it is a neck pup per duncan label on the side. So, should i keep the neck or should i control myself and get the bridge tomorrow and mod it corretly-that is to say will a neck work in a 1 pup set-up #-o ?

ok, no brainer. i got the bridge in and WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! THE P-RAIL ROCKS. I haven't completed mods yet. doing a double push/pull to select between the options. only have volume pot installed and wow. The rail sounds great and the p-90 is freaken hot. can't wait to see how the humbker sounds when i install tone pot.:-

I will post pics of my recent mods soon. waiting for tusq nut and other 500k pus/pull to cmplete mods on the jr.

here is the link: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_prails_1v_1t_tspp

Since this is a epi les paul jr, i am connecting the pickup to the vol pot. per, the schematic i should have humbkr in when both pots are upp or both down. with the volume pot in i have access to rail and p-90.

the way this pup sounds, i may look into putting some in the dot.

For those interested in wiring for a dot hee it is:http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_prails_2v_2t_3w_2pp

or this one--i like this option more than the other:http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_prails_2v_2t_tspp

Can you tell me how good the humbuckler is when its sorted out please. I love the tonal options of these pickups but am affraid there'll be jack of all trades and master of none. I have heard the p90 tone on youtube and it sounds great! would love to hear an actual person describe the tone of the humbuck in person and not relie on a compressed vid file from youtube.

Cheers

Well I like the humbucker sound but I'm not good enough to give a good description of it's tone.

The P-90 sounds good too, the rail pickup leaves me a little flat, not quacky like a Strat's (naturally) I was hoping for more from the rail but overall I like it a lot, and I think in a guitar with 2 of them it'd be that much better.

I also only have mine wired for the 3 tones, don't have the parallel/series HB option.

I agree with sledge on the rail. still very nice. Sledge, i have a black lp jr with black pickgd. looks awesome. i decided to do the push/pull option because i did not want to add hole for switch. wanted to keep look as original as possible and the push/pull does that fine.

i will post pics when i get other parts in and installed. still waiting on another audio 500k pot and a tusq nut. can't wait to hit local store with it and here it thru a tube amp like the valve jr. 8-[

Archived