Gibson Brands Forums

neck thiness

dynasty32

I have a mim strat currently and it has a really nice thin c shape neck. I tried some other les pauls and they tend have thicker necks. I tried the epiphone les paul standard plus top and the neck was pretty slim, not as slim as my strat but still fine. However I tried a gibson les paul classic, and i felt the neck was thinner? Is that true, or do those two guitar have the same neck thiness. Epiphone les pauls are advertised to say they have a slim tapered neck, but how do those compared to the Gibson necks that has the 60's neck profile?

I used to have a Gibson Les Paul Classic, and still have an Epiphone of the same persuasion (sp?), and I found the Epi neck to be of baseball bat proportions compared to the Gibson...I'm thinking "slim taper", and "60's neck profile" may be 2 different things. This is only MY observation of the two, your results may vary. By the way, that's the Epi pictured below...yer gonna have to pry that guitar out of my cold, dead hands.

There isn't a whole lot of consistency--in general--in neck profiles. Gibsons have historically varied from year to year. Epiphones probably even more, as production has been moved from factory to factory around Asia. Your best approach is to try a number of different guitars and buy the one that you like.

By the way, some people like the beefier necks. This is why Gibson is offering different profiles on the same models (e.g., the ES-339). Cheers.

This goes back to a lot of threads posted here in the past.

Ya gotta play the thing, or at least put your hands on it before you buy it.

I've got a MIJ Strat that has a beautiful thin neck that is very stiff and straight.

Bought it when a lot of people were bashing the MIJ guitars.

I've got a LP Ultra 2 that also has a nice thin neck. I was able to play them both before buying,

and that was what made my decision.

A mail order guitar is somewhat like a mail order bride. Ya just never really know what you're gettin'.

This is just my opinion.

The thing about Gibson is that although the necks of a particular LP might have the same profile, no two necks are exactly alike because they are all sanded by hand. Its just like Gordon said "Ya gotta play the thing" . You know, try before you buy. You can take the two guitars that are the same model but they may play and sound completely different. Guitars are just like a woman, they have a mind of their own.

I generally like the thinner 60's neck, but I've found that for me, the thicker profile results in less hand fatigue. My 92 Gibson LP Studio has the fat neck. My Epi LP custom and my Epi 56 goldtop re-issue have thinner necks. Both have their own little differences.

I've often read about Gibson neck differences, and I really don't doubt that at all.

I suppose I got lucky.

My 1970 Kalamazoo ES-330 and my 2001 Peerless Korean guitars have necks that are probably with a 1 or 2mm tolerance of each other.

I'm not sure, but I think it's the slim-taper neck (correct me if I'm wrong) and it is simply the most comfortable neck I've ever played. Small, thin, and with touch-and-go action.

I picked up a Dot in a music store and was surprised to find the neck bigger, (but most of all I was amazed at how much heavier the Dot is).

Notes

i guess something to note... epiphone slathers on the lacquer... talkin' a few mm's thick...

this one time i had an old workhorse dot i used. i sanded the neck down to bare wood and finished it in tung oil - she rode perfect for years!

Archived