Gibson Brands Forums

Better Acoustic?

slasher1319

I haven't played the EJ-200, but I've played the other two... I was impressed with both.

I'm not a huge fan of gloss finishes on an acoustic guitar, and I'm not a fan of gloss finishes on the neck of any guitar, so that eliminates many guitars for me, that are otherwise fine instruments. The Martin and the Masterbilt both have satin finishes, if I remember correctly.

Other than that, they're different instruments. The Martin is a 000, the Epiphone is a Dreadnought... for a more equal comparison, you should compare the Masterbilt to the Martin DX1 (of which I own a slightly higher-end, American model).

The 000 will be quieter, but is the instrument of choice for many fingerpickers... the dreadnought is big and loud.

The Masterbilt is made in China, the 000 in Mexico.

The Masterbilt will have more cosmetic features - binding, etc. The 000 doesn't even have fret markers, so if that's important, stay away. I would have a hard time playing without them - and I do with my classical. You eventually learn around it, though.

The Masterbilt DR series is actually based on Martin design, not Gibson, also... so either way, you're going to get something reminiscent of the Martin sound.

I don't know what the Masterbilt is made of, off-hand, but I know that the low-priced Martins use HPL for the body... it still sounds great, but it looks a little less professional than a solid rosewood body.

Wow. You have chosen three very different guitars to compare interms of size and construction, so I presume you are trying to keep to a budget. Of the three you chose, I would rule the EJ200 out first, as in my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as the other two.

The Martin is by most accounts, a fine sounding guitar. Though many traditialists don't like their guitars to have backs and sides made out of anything other than solid wood, Ovation and now Martin and others have made some good acoustics with non-traditional material. The ones I've played on stores sound surprisingly good, but I personally don't like the look or feel of the back and neck material, so I guess that makes me a traditionalist, too.

I have an Epiphone DR500M, and several other Masterbilts, and I can tell you unhesitatingly that they are excellent, and not "just for the money." They sound great, play easily, are better appointed than the Martin (with some tasteful headstock and fretboard inlays, neck and body binding, etc.), and are carefully built. And, if you are a traditionalist, you'll appreciate the solid wood one-piece neck, solid back and sides, rosewood fretboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, etc.

The way the Martin X series is constructed (high-ressure laminate back, sides, and neck, composite material fingerboard and bridge) makes it additionally attractive as a travel or beach guitar, though, as it would certainly survive a lot of abuse, so that may be a consideration. I imagine this construction results in a guitar that sounds pretty consistent, and has little neck-shape variation, one to another, so that may be another condsideration, if you can't audition them.

Finally, if you wanted a small body like the Martin's, but made with solid woods, you might also consider the Masterbilt EF500M, which should be about the same price as the DR500M, which appears to be in your budget.

Red 333

Hi -

I purchased a DR500M over a year ago, and recently acquired a Martin D12X1 (similar in construction to the Martin 000X1 you're considering). I enjoy both, and for the price point, believe they are just all that I need. I wasn't aware of the Martin series when I obtained the DR500M, but I know that I would have a difficult time, now, deciding between the Masterbilt and the 000X1. They seem to have unique sounds, but both sound just great. And they play equally as well. Maybe the Martin has a bit more volume.

Because of the HPL material and non-wood neck, I worry a lot less about the D12X1 in terms of humidity shifts in the house whereas I'm very considerate of the Masterbilt. I've been impressed that I have not had to tune the Martin much, maybe just once.....it stays in tune. My musically and guitar inclined friends have been impressed with the Martin in terms of sound, and playability (something about that neck makes it smooth to play). I was pleasantly surprised with the follow-up communication from Martin when I registered the guitar.......thank-you letters, certificates, etc. - that didn't happen with Epiphone.

If you decide on the Martin, and if it's important for you, HPL Matin's are now made in Mexico, and the label inside the guitar will say that, whereas earlier models, prior to maybe Feb. '08 were made in Nazareth, PA, and the label inside the guitar will say this (as mine does). Local or online dealer may have older models in their inventory.

Good luck with your decision, DR500M or the 000X1, either way, I believe you will have a fine guitar.

Regards,

Which of the following would be the best value' date=' dont take the difference in price as a factor in choosing, just tell me which is the best. These are the options:

Epiphone Ej200

Epiphone Masterbilt Dr500M

Martin 000X1.

Thanks a lot[/quote']

Masterbilt, hands down.

I love Martin Guitars, made in the USA and all, but the HPL is a dealbreaker.

Archived