Gibson Brands Forums

How to fix a Riviera input jack?

stevezapp

As I mentioned in an earlier post, i've got this Riviera. She has a few issues though, one of them being a knackered jack.

I think it needs rewiring, but I'm stumped as to how to get the bloody thing out as there is access panel on the back.

Is it a case of taking the bridge pickup out and doing it that way?

TIA,

Steve

riviera1.jpg

Going through the f holes is how I do it with all semi hollows.

you have to get your harness strong.. and the wires nicely mapped out.

the jack is one of the hardest bits.. it's farthest away and tends to want to hang it's wires up on other components, etc.

But it's doable. and there are even some tutorials on the net.

TWANG

I've had to do this a couple oif times on my Sheraton. Patience and a little ingenuity is the key.

Getting it out is not so bad. Getting it back in can be a project. I devised this system and it has served me well.

1. Take a paper clip straighten it out then bend it into a V shape. Twist the end with a pair of pliers creating a

small loop. the legs of the clip should form an 80-90 degree angle.

2. Tie a piece of heavy test fishing line through the loop. Make sure you use multiple knots and that they are secure.

use about 18''-24" of fishing line to give yourself lots of room.

3. Push the sides of the "v" together and insert "feet first" into the jack. The fishing line should be coming out of the

jack. Tape the end of the fishing line to the guitar body or tie it to the switch. DO NOT let the end of the fishing

line disappear into the hole.

4. Remove the nut and washer from the jack and put in the guitar case. (It will save you cursing later.)

5. Push the jack into the guitar and let it fall free.

6. Using a hook fashioned out of some dense insulated wire (wont scratch) snag and pull the jack through the F hole.

This is easier than it sounds.

7. Using needle nose pliers bend the contacts of the jack so the make suitable contact with your guitar cord and

you have a nice snug fit. clean the contact surfaces with emery cloth. Re-solder the connections as needed.

8 Drop the jack back into the F hole and pull it into position using the fishing line Go get your washer and nut out

of the case, drop them into position over the fishing line and secure snugly. Dont be over zealous or you will

crack your finish.

9 Finally, firmly pull on the fishing line. Your paper clip "retaining spring" will compress and come out of the jack.

10. Enjoy the money you saved by keeping your guitar out of the shop!

Take your time and dont rush this process. Theres a lot of wire in there and its easy to get tangled. Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck,

Tony

Going through the f holes is how I do it with all semi hollows.

you have to get your harness strong.. and the wires nicely mapped out.

the jack is one of the hardest bits.. it's farthest away and tends to want to hang it's wires up on other components' date=' etc.

But it's doable. and there are even some tutorials on the net.

TWANG[/quote']

going through the "f-holes"??? Am I seeing things? O:) ;)

And yeah, it's a beautiful guitar! Lucky man!

Archived