Gibson Brands Forums

(Probably) a stupid question about sound proofing

ButchCassidy

I'm moving into an apartment with my buddy pretty soon. It is a two bedroom, our rooms right next to each other sharing a middle wall. I work nights, so usually play guitar late, so I was wondering if I put a bunch of this on my walls it would give me some soundproofing to where my friend might not complain too bad. I'm just not clear if this stuff is for echo/wave canceling, or soundproofing as well.

http://www.foambymail.com/Pyramid.html

Thanks!

Appears that it would work from the info on the website but couldn't that get expensive ? Have you considered some type of headphone type amp like a " Rocktron " or something ? Vox also makes these for about $ 39.95 and available in 3 different tones.

"Sound proofing" is impossible. All you can do is control the more intrusive frequencies, and they will still leak out. An apartment is a poor place to play loudly, and there's no way around it.

Another, overlooked, aspect, is that soundproofing generally deadens a room acoustically, and, after all your work, you end up with a space that sounds terrible.

Get headphones.

Effective and proper soundproofing really almost has to be done when the room is being built. Two things are effective soundproofing methods... Layers of different density, and pure mass. Things like double walls with a layer of empty space between, walls built with staggered 2x4 studs on a 2x6 plate, or in some cases even lead lined walls... These are actual sound "proofing" methods. Things like the acoustic foam, or hanging carpet on walls, generally only serve to help cut down excessive echo in a room, and in some cases can help to "tune" a room by trapping bass frequencies. In an apartment, there's really nothing you can do that will make enough difference in perceived sound levels in the next room. Every little bit does help, but not enough for what you would need. "Soundproofing" a storage unit or a detattched garage for a band practice by hanging foam and carpet is a little different, because you're a little farther away from potential complainers, LOL.

I too concur, buy yourself a decent pair of studio type enclosed headphones and a decent practice amp or a pod type device. The Behringer V-amp line is a cost effective and IMO equal if not superior alternative, if cash is an issue.

Archived