Gibson Brands Forums

EMG 81/60 Combo. Good or Bad?

Sinb

Hey everybody, hows it goin?

Im gonna replace the pickups on my Les Paul with some EMG's. I would go with the standard 81/85 combo but the 85 in the neck is too thin IMO so I was looking towards putting a 60 in the neck. How well do u think that this combonation will work? Will they clash and make me wanna kick my dog =P~ or will they mix great and puurrrrr like a kitten? =P~

Any advice/opinions/etc welcome.

Thanks,

Sinful Bane

Seeing as you stated you are going to use EMGs, I'm not going to be silly and tell you to use something else.

I will say that my LP came with the 81/85 setup and I personally love the 85's tone, thinner than the 81, and perfect for playing rhythm (which is 90% of the time for me.) I've played with some 60s and I definitely wouldn't trade it.

It's really personal taste, but I guess James Hetfield likes the 81/60 combo. Whoever he is. :-

Either set works very well.

this is a really common combination. james hetfield uses it and metallica kinda has the sound most people think of when they think emg so its obviously working for him. the 60 has a bluesy sound to it ive heard and a little less output than the 85 if i remember right

Guest icantbuyafender

The EMG60 is my vote.

between that and the 85, the 60 is closer to sounding passive.

my 2 cents... so it may just be my opinion. :-k

Archived