Gibson Brands Forums

scarf joints on elitist guitars?

jzucker

we'll have to agree to disagree nick. you apparently know how to defy physics. Please take it offline.

Which physics are you referring to specifically? The one that says all pieces of wood have the same density, resonance and physical structure that would define the baseline for how vibration is transferred? No one has ever, ever, ever been able to substantiate this claim about single pieces of wood vs ones with joints in them.

One of the laments of people on this forum is that the old korean (possibly even Elitist) Sheratons had necks made of multiple laminates of maple and mahogany. Nobody ever talks about the fact that maybe that could have killed the sacred "transfer of vibration". Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. Who cares? It was a way of making necks at that time that created a particular sort of guitar. The days of single piece necks is pretty much done (unless you want to pay the price). But to say that one way created a superior tone to another is just unadulterated hooey. Nonsense. Marketing hype.

Physics my ***. Marketing is all it is. I say, enjoy your guitars for what they are. Take pleasure in the tone and playability. Don't spend a wasted minute on this crap that says that when they were built a certain way they were superior. Bullshit.

As you know' date=' a fine guitar.[/quote']

Thanks! She's a 2004 Simon & Patrick SP6 with a cedar top. Bought in England, 300 quid with a hard-shell case. Best bang-for-buck acoustic I've ever owned... I'd never part with this guitar.

Thanks! She's a 2004 Simon & Patrick SP6 with a cedar top. Bought in England' date=' 300 quid with a hard-shell case. Best bang-for-buck acoustic I've ever owned... I'd never part with this guitar. [/quote']

My $1500 Seagull also has "the dreaded scarf neck" in the same location as yours. I don't sweat if for a second. It's a pro-level guitar. This whole discussion is based on marketing and uniformed prejudice.

You have a great guitar, and I'd maintain, one of the better bargains out there. The S-6 is a classic. Take pleasure in playing it!

HarpBoy,

I was so glad to see you call "Balderdash" on the scarf joint prejudice. There are SO many superstitions about guitars and woods. I keep thinking of the archtop that Bob Benedetto built from knotty pine boards, which, from all accounts sounded terrific--and even looks pretty good.

I would add one proviso, though. You are right, a well-done glue joint can be stronger than the constituent wood. However, a poorly done neck-transverse joint can be a disaster waiting to happen. (How many people would buy a guitar with a headstock break repaired by an inexperienced amateur?)

I WOULD buy a guitar with a joined neck, but ONLY from a known and reputable builder. Cheers.

You know, I got to admit, if the joint is in the headstock, and above the nut, it may not make that much difference...

I reserve the right to be suspicious of those finger joints and V joints in the neck shaft itself, though, just on principle.

My real concern with all this was to stem all the disinformation and speculation flying around about whether the Elitists neck was one piece or not.

Have a good night, all. I'm going to go watch some Coachella.

Red 333

Thanks! She's a 2004 Simon & Patrick SP6 with a cedar top. Bought in England' date=' 300 quid with a hard-shell case. Best bang-for-buck acoustic I've ever owned... I'd never part with this guitar. [/quote']

I've got an Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar also made by Godin in Canada. The smell of all that wood when I open the case is intoxicating. It was AU$399 and the best bargain I've ever seen in guitars. I read somewhere the Canadian government subsidises exports or something. My only regret is that I didn't get one with an inbuilt pickup.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/folkcedarantiqueburst.html

The smell of all that wood when I open the case is intoxicating.

If you could see where Godin's shops are located, you'd understand why. Gibson is located in downtown Nashville. Godin's various shops are in little villages out in the middle of thousands of square kilometers of hardwood forest. I'm not kidding.

I've got an Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar also made by Godin in Canada. The smell of all that wood when I open the case is intoxicating. It was AU$399 and the best bargain I've ever seen in guitars. I read somewhere the Canadian government subsidises exports or something. My only regret is that I didn't get one with an inbuilt pickup.

Yes' date=' I went through a phase of using one of those Dean Markley sound-hole pickups with my Simon & Patrick.

[img']http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/DeanMarkley/369550jpg.jpg[/img]

Complete waste of time. Does not capture anything like the beautiful tone of the guitar.

I've been looking for an electro-acoustic to complement my S & P for some time. Looked at Ovations, Epiphones, Yamahas and a wide range of instruments. Nothing is really "grabbing" me.

But having had such a great experience with Godin instruments, I'm thinking about just ordering one of these from Elderly:

gtrswssg.jpg

That's a Seagull Maritime. With Godin's QI electronics, Elderly are asking $799. Which seems pretty reasonable.

Godin make great guitars. And it's incredible to be able to buy a guitar built outside of Asia for these sort of prices.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/folkcedarantiqueburst.html

I feel the same way when I open up my Martin Cases. They sound, feel, play, look and smell so good! The aroma from my PRS and Eastman’s are hypnotic as well.

Archived