Gibson Brands Forums

So what exactly are g400's made of...?

Ikis

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luan is close enough to "real mahogany" that most people will never tell the difference. That said, I looked at a batch of Gibson Faded specials this weekend and I am delighted to say that they were better than last time I looked at some. I still dont like them but now that you can get them for $699 online, they look like a better investment. If looking for a low end Gibson however, I would recommend looking at the Raw Power or Classic with P90s or even the newly lowered price standard. If was a cynic I would say that Gibson are worried about the fact that Gibson buyers are starting to look at Epi as a suitable alternative and far better value and have dropped thier price accordingly in order to maintain output and sales from the Gibson USA factory.

i certainly like the acoustic sound of my g400. i heard a guy play the custom with no amp and thought "thats the sound i want in a guitar." (when it's not plugged in.) my ears pricked up at that one. the les paul copies i have don't have the sound i like un plugged. and i play unplugged alot. i added a bigsby ripoff and some jackson paf pickups but with gibson alnico 2 magnets. i'm happy with this one! well so much so i want to revisit the sg. i may go for a faded and a double cut faded. although that double cut seems hard to find here now. and it wasn't much over £400 a while ago. the price jumps are annoying, they are way over that now. i will go for a special rather than standard for these reasons:

1. i like the 490r and 490t combo. i like the old spec.

2. i do like the uncovered pickups.

3. i wanted a change from trapezoids.

4. the price! i can get a dc faded and special for the rough price of the standard.

5. i have a standard i may be able to get repaired. (i'll send it to the mission impossible guys though!)

on the other hand i was looking at the epi custom as i so much wanted the white and gold and would have kept it stock. i think they are meant to be alnico 2 type magnets.

on the raw power... i think there will be many other makers that will use maple but if i go gibson i am happy it's at least the right wood for it and get it while it's cheapish. i would not want to jump on a raw power for a while. i'll see what other makers do on that.

my thoughts are:

alder is alder,

basswood is basswood,

maple is maple,

mahogany is ?????

i can get those other woods from any other maker but "proper" mahogany only from gibson?

I just bought a used G400 that was made at the Unsung factory in June 2002...It has Gibson on the truss rod cover and green tulip tuners...the neck is awesome from one end to the other (no buzzing) and it cost me 175 bucks...

I don't know what this guitar is made of but damn it sure sounds sweet...!

Trying to align a brad point bit would be a nightmare. I've had best results using a 3/8" countersink bit to ream out the tuner holes. While these are not intended for drilling, they work very well for this as they center themselves and they don't try to pull through the wood too fast, splintering the finish on the back side. They also make a very smooth cut. Take your time and go slow so the bit doesn't overheat.

i did mine with a drill and i wasn't so bothered as i already did some damage when i glued in the screws as there were lose! they wouldn't hold and i was thinking "i'll never buy more tuners for it." well that was pre modding days. anyway the glue was cheap rubbish that never seems to stick anything so i didn't care. but it seemed to like the very last screw, as always and tore a chunck out of the finish when tried to get the old screw out. yes i was cack handed... still i like the fact i have a trem and gold tuners!:D/

Trying to align a brad point bit would be a nightmare. I've had best results using a 3/8" countersink bit to ream out the tuner holes. While these are not intended for drilling' date=' they work very well for this as they center themselves and they don't try to pull through the wood too fast, splintering the finish on the back side. They also make a very smooth cut. Take your time and go slow so the bit doesn't overheat.[/quote']

I've done a dozen holes now with no problems...center your bit in the existing hole and drill to your hearts content....slowly...

what do you guys think this means? (i actually asked for the species used in the dc faded and sg faded...)

"Hello,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this for you. Our mahogany is

coming from several places throughout Central and South America. Peru and

Honduras to name a couple.

Thank you for the inquiry, and I hope this helps!"

Archived