Gibson Brands Forums

futura maple tops

gman70

I've noticed the maple tops on the futuras in the photos in the catalog are very vibrant, but when I saw them in the store they were not.The transparent black was so dark you could hardly tell it was a maple top, & the transparent black cherry was rather dull and blotchy.Have any of you noticed this?I think Epiphone should do a better job on the maple tops on these two models.

Ok, I have both the SG and futura prophecy models in Black Cherry. Neither maple is quite as nicely patterned as the pictures but then you might expect them to choose the best looking one they had for the advert. The finish on the SG is better than the Futura (Different country, not just different factory). Neither one is dull or blotchy. There does seem to be a great degree of difference in how much dark stain is being used. Some examples are almost even and just a little darker right at the edge. Others seem to have much more of a dark "burst" finish. I am happy that both of mine look good.

Of my two, there is also a significant quality difference with the SG being far better overall.

Ok' date=' I have both the SG and futura prophecy models in Black Cherry. Neither maple is quite as nicely patterned as the pictures but then you might expect them to choose the best looking one they had for the advert. The finish on the SG is better than the Futura (Different country, not just different factory). Neither one is dull or blotchy. There does seem to be a great degree of difference in how much dark stain is being used. Some examples are almost even and just a little darker right at the edge. Others seem to have much more of a dark "burst" finish. I am happy that both of mine look good.

Of my two, there is also a significant quality difference with the SG being far better overall.[/quote']

where is the Futura made in? the SG is china made right?

The SG is China, Futura is Indonesia. The futura has a neck that is a little too flexible and the holes for the tuners are drilled a little too big so when the tension is off the strings the posts can wobble around a bit. The SG is a GREAT guitar for the price, the Futura is acceptable given that it was a little cheaper (I think they were originally the same price but the futuras were not selling). Overall I would say the Dirty Fingers are a better pickup than the EMGs. The SG gives you a choice of pups wheras the futura gives you EMGs with a choice of Trem or no trem.

the holes for the tuners are drilled a little too big so when the tension is off the strings the posts can wobble around a bit.

More likely the tuners just need to have their mounting ferrules tightened. The holes are all drilled to a standard dimension which is 10mm. This is pretty much normal for new guitars. Also the Korean-made Grover tuners have a little more slack in the posts compared to the original USA-made versions.

I was browsing through a new chain store that opened in my city recently, and they had the Futura EX on the wall and I must say, the finish was extremely underwhelming. It couldn't hold a candle to the SG and LP GX models next to it in that regard (Not to say that either of those even compared to the top on my LP EX though.) It's a pity, I was strongly considering picking one up, but I think I'll settle for an Explorer and some decent pickups now that I've seen the real deal.

More likely the tuners just need to have their mounting ferrules tightened. The holes are all drilled to a standard dimension which is 10mm. This is pretty much normal for new guitars. Also the Korean-made Grover tuners have a little more slack in the posts compared to the original USA-made versions.

No, there is definately movement of the whole tuner body when the pressure is off. I will try tightening the ferules next time I change strings as that may provide some relief of the problem but I dont think it will cure it. It holds tune ok now that I have some decent strings on it and changed the winding direction on the bottom (high E) string to alleviate some of the excessive angle at the nut.

I wonder why they went with a different factory for the Futura. Consistent QC would be far easier if all of the prophecy series were made in one place. I also wonder why they made it a Futura and not an Explorer. Actually, I almost wonder why they bothered at all since I am pretty sure the LP and SG versions will outsell the futuras by about 100 to 1 (I already see futuras being discounted heavily).

Archived