Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special fret buzz

lpfan

I bought a black Epi SG Special for one of my friends yesterday and it has a buzz on the high E and B string at the second fret. It doesn't buzz anywhere else. I'm gonna throw a set of new strings on it. The strings on it now are in bad, bad shape. I don't knopw if that will fix the buzz or nut. That was gonna be my first guess. If that doesn't fix it, does anybody else know what could be the cause. BTW the neck looks straight to me, no obvious warping or anything like that.

I bought a black Epi SG Special for one of my friends yesterday and it has a buzz on the high E and B string at the second fret. It doesn't buzz anywhere else. I'm gonna throw a set of new strings on it. The strings on it now are in bad' date=' bad shape. I don't knop if that will fix the buzz or not. That was gonna be my first guess. If that doesn't fix it, does anybody else know what could be the cause. BTW the neck looks straight to me, no obvious warping or anything like that.[/quote']

lpfan, I had a similar problem with my Epi LP Standard when I got it. I changed the strings got a setup, etc. and

that did not take care of it. I later found that the 3rd fret was lifted and needed to be reset. The fret was then filed

and polished and that took care of it. Have your guitar checked to see if the 2nd and or 3rd fret is a little high

and if that may be causing your problem. Worth looking into if none of the usual remedies work.

Well I haven't had a chance to change the strings but I turned the truss rod 1/2 a turn and let it sit for a day. The buzz is gone. I'll throw some new strings on it this weekend and we will see how it does.

This past week I installed a new nut (the original was broken) and did a setup on an SG Special for a friends son. I can tell you that the neck had way too much relief and the action was very high from the factory.

Bottom line - no real problems with the neck, but the frets were in need of a major leveling. I think the frets got no attention from the factory or the "Inspected and Setup in the USA" part of the deal. My guess is that you can't afford to spend too much time on a $195 plywood guitar. However, you can get it to play very nicely with a little time and effort. (But you should also keep some perspective about this guitar and adjust expectations accordingly.)

Greg

Archived