Gibson Brands Forums

New SG G400 and new pickups?

acisler

Hey all,

I just picked up a new Epi SG G 400 in Faded Cherry and I am really enjoying playing her and the quality is a world apart from my old Jay Turser knock off LP. I'm wanting to do some work on it, however. I'm thinking some new pickups may be in order, just something to set it apart a little more and maybe have it approach some of the more traditional Gibson sound, the current pups feel a bit muddy and could stand to be more hot.

I'm playing mostly classic rock up to some modern rock with some metal thrown in for good measures. I'm still learning the pickup scene and was looking at the Angus Young pickup and burstbucker pros but I'm still a little unclear of the differences in tones between these and other pickups. Can anyone shed some light on this or is there some resource that shows off the differences?

Hey all' date='

I just picked up a new Epi SG G 400 in Faded Cherry and I am really enjoying playing her and the quality is a world apart from my old Jay Turser knock off LP. I'm wanting to do some work on it, however. I'm thinking some new pickups may be in order, just something to set it apart a little more and maybe have it approach some of the more traditional Gibson sound, the current pups feel a bit muddy and could stand to be more hot.

I'm playing mostly classic rock up to some modern rock with some metal thrown in for good measures. I'm still learning the pickup scene and was looking at the Angus Young pickup and burstbucker pros but I'm still a little unclear of the differences in tones between these and other pickups. Can anyone shed some light on this or is there some resource that shows off the differences?

[/quote']

Check out the DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan sites. they have sound clips that will give you a better idea of the tone that you might want. also check out youtube and search for the pickup that are you interested in. however, the best way is to go to your local shop and play the guitars with the pickups that are you interested in, that is the only way that you will be able to tell what you really like.

I've got a G-400 with a Angus and a BBII and another with a BBII / BBIII combination. If you check the

Gibson site you'll find a pick-up info section that will give comparisons in output via bar graph, a synopsis

of tone, and some sound files for further information. From what you stated I think you'd like the BB Pros.

The regular BB's aren't wax potted and can be prone to feedback but that's sometimes a plus if it's what

you're after. Many here have not been thrilled by the Angus and I have to admit it is kind of a one trick

pony. It's tone pretty much is what it is and if you like it great, there's not much changing it though.

Another thing is it's kind of a composit of Angus tone; little Bon era/ little Brian, not clearly either one.

While the mods of these two I've got are otherwise nearly identical, I find myself going for the BBIII

bridged one most of the time. The Angus signature Gibson pairs a '57 classic with the Angus pup for the

neck position. I'm one of a few here that are strong supporters of the RS Guitarworks upgrade kits. To me,

if you're about to spend half the price of of the guitar in pickups go ahead and upgrade all the electronics

at the same time to take full advantage of the new premium humbuckers. This is a constant source of debate

here but I've tried it both ways - humbuckers install alone with stock electronics and with the RS components.

There is a noticable difference in tone and adjustability. If you lean frequently toward the gain knob you might

wanna look at something hotter like the Dirty Fingers that's being installed in the new Prophesy's. Still if you

do much classic stuff, I'd steer clear of pickups with ceramic magnets which although can be great for metal

may be a tad sterile sounding for classic rock tones. There will be an abundant outpouring of support for the

GFS pickups as well and they certainly do seem do deliver bang for the buck based on what's been said here.

I personally have not tried them as yet. Another pairing to consider would be the 490r and 498t combination

said to be like a modernesque Burstbucker setup with a slightly more pronounced mid to high upper range. This

combination is installed in some V's and SG's and one I'm about try out myself very soon. Good luck in your

quest for tone and I hope you find this to be of some help...........

Wedgie

...you might wanna look at something hotter like the Dirty Fingers...........

Great pickup' date=' I always have one guitar (usually a solid body) with a DF in the bridge. Real nasty, but I don't find it harsh like some other higher output pickups. This is my current DirtyFingers axe:

[center']l_0398384f421141978b7b1589f22f81a1.jpg[/center]

Thanks for the advice guys. A few of the pickups you've suggested have been really great sounding. I got this SG with upgrading it in mind, I was wanting something that I could make my own and by most accounts the epi g400 is close in quality to Gibsons that are 3x and 4x as much. My intentions were to make this something 'personal' to grow with and into as I get more advanced and serious about playing and you've helped me get on the right track.

I like some of the Dimarzio pickups, especially the Evolution Bridge/Neck Humbuckers for clear and aggressive notes, and the Air Norton for warmer notes with some cool sustain and harmonics this one in particular reminds me of Slash solos (of which I may be way off base to my untrained ear).

But whats really caught my attention is the Dirty Fingers pickup. Man is that thing raw and unforgiving! I've only found a 1 or 2 videos on youtube of it but it sounds incredible and 'dirty'. Is there any where else I can find audio/video clips of this pickup? It has really peaked my attention.

What are your opinions of a Dirty Fingers/Dimarzio Evolution combination and which pickup is best suited for which position? It seems like this might be a good combination to counter each other between aggressive and heavy riffs with piercing and precise individual notes. I think that I read that the Dirty Fingers is best in the bridge and the Evolution has neck and bridge versions but I got the general impression that it was meant for the bridge.

Hey all' date='

[/quote']i upgraded my epi les paul with '57 classics. a classic plus in the bridge. wow! the other advice was good about changing you electronics. i did mine at the same time as the p/u change. a place called bcsguitars.com sells pre-made pot assemblys. all you do is drop it in, and solder it up. easy! they have all kinds of kits for about $40 -45 . your choice of caps, (i got the oil in paper) you won't belive it's the same guitar. good luck

Archived