Gibson Brands Forums

pickup wireing question

hey guys a while back i posted a question about putting a humbucker on my 6 string banjo, i did just kinda rigged it up i have a question tho, i just took a junk old humbucker out my hondo lp and spliced the wires to a jack and ducktaped it under the head of the banjo, it sounds freakn awsome man, really more acustic then i thought it would, but my question is do i need to have a ground coming of of the pickup or plug? and if so what should i attach it to?

Yes you must ground the pickup. This wire to ground your pickup is soldered on to the output jack on your banjo. you have 2 tabs on your output jack...1 is for the signal from your humbucker and the other 1 is for the ground wire.

Here's a handy diagram from Seymour Duncan:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

Just the ground to the jack..

told you that would work!

bill lawrence used to make these really thin humbucks for acoustic guitar. we liked them because of the thinness and because they had a flat top.. fit right on the banjo head.

we monted it near the neck.. not in the middle of the head, or near the bridge.. for one thing the strings are closer to the head near the neck, and the head can still transfer plenty of acoustic volume without being dampened by the pickup.

put a little chorus on that.. man it's sweet!

TWANG

Archived