Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Firebird VII

Dear friends,

just like to know if any of you have owned this particular fiery chick. Since Epiphone has backordered the Riviera P94 till July I have no choice but to search for Greener Pastures..

Pros and Cons of this model? I am well aware that it is very heavy, but is it really an issue?

appreciate it!

Love it, love it, abso-friggin'-lutely LOVE IT! If you get a chance to pick one up in good shape and fair price ... my advice would be to do it immediately!

The Epiphone version is NOT neck-through like the Gibson, only carved to look that way, but the combination of the mini-humbuckers and the reverse headstock really give this guitar a unique sound. It sort of sounds Fender-ish ... but much thicker and warmer. Like I said ... unique!

I don't find it to be that neck-heavy, myself ... nor have I had any issues with the Maestro Vibrola although I don't try to "dive-bomb" with it ... just a gentle shimmer now and then. One of these days I'd like to replace the tuners with the proper banjo-style, but as it is, tuning is solid and stable. As for over-all weight ... well, it's not light, but I think it is nicely balanced and wears well on a thick strap. One thing is for sure, you won't see 30 of them if you show up with it for an audition or a jam session!

They're kind of scarce, so good luck ... it's a great guitar and one of my favorites!

Jim

SANY0040.jpg

SANY0041.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

Probably dead even within a pound or so, Jerome. Certainly no heavier than an LP. The neck seems longer on the Firebird even though it really isn't. The deep cutaway on the one side and the lower shoulder on the other just makes it seem that way.

Epiphone is not real great at listing the weights on their guitars, probably because hey can vary quite a bit. If I pick up the Firebird and my LP custom, the LP seems a bit heavier ... but not by much.

Jim

Love it' date=' love it, abso-friggin'-lutely LOVE IT! If you get a chance to pick one up in good shape and fair price ... my advice would be to do it immediately!

The Epiphone version is NOT neck-through like the Gibson, only carved to look that way, but the combination of the mini-humbuckers and the reverse headstock really give this guitar a unique sound. It sort of sounds Fender-ish ... but much thicker and warmer. Like I said ... unique!

I don't find it to be that neck-heavy, myself ... nor have I had any issues with the Maestro Vibrola although I don't try to "dive-bomb" with it ... just a gentle shimmer now and then. One of these days I'd like to replace the tuners with the proper banjo-style, but as it is, tuning is solid and stable. As for over-all weight ... well, it's not light, but I think it is nicely balanced and wears well on a thick strap. One thing is for sure, you won't see 30 of them if you show up with it for an audition or a jam session!

They're kind of scarce, so good luck ... it's a great guitar and one of my favorites!

Jim

[img']http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/midiman56/SANY0040.jpg[/img]

SANY0041.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

Jim, your f-bird is gorgeous!!! What brand/gauge of strings are you using ?

mgm

Thanks, mgm ... nice of you to say! I have the Firebird (as well as just about everything else 'cept for the bass, the Gretsch and one of the tele's) strung with Elixer Nanoweb Lights:

12052 Light .010 .013 .017 .026w .036w .046w

I've been very happy with the sound and they last and last!

Jim

Thanks' date=' mgm ... nice of you to say! I have the Firebird (as well as just about everything else 'cept for the bass, the Gretsch and one of the tele's) strung with Elixer Nanoweb Lights:

12052 Light .010 .013 .017 .026w .036w .046w

I've been very happy with the sound and they last and last!

Jim[/quote']

Thanks for the info Jim! I've never tried Elixer strings, I've always wondered ( probaly a misconception on my part ) if the fact that they have the special coating would sacrifice some tone?

mgm

You know, mgm, I had the same idea about the Nanoweb coating and tone loss. I'd been an Ernie Ball guy for years and years until a fellow musician begged me to try the Elixers. I was sold from that point on. They ring out nice and true and, like I said, just seem to go for months. Now obviously, Vegas is very dry and I seem to be very non-acidic (no problem with gold hardware whatsoever), so your mileage my vary ... but I just love 'em!

Jerome - I know what you mean about the scarcity of the burst color. Seems as though there are a lot more of the red version around. I think that one it pretty cool looking too!

Jim

Archived