Gibson Brands Forums

Re-Stringing with Flatwound Strings

Fadedepi

To All,

I have a question about putting Electric Flatwounds on my EJ-160E acoustic. As we know flatwounds are wrapped with silk above the ball end. My question is, when the string is installed, the silk wrap wants to extend over the bridge saddle. The string still sounds good when picked, but, I'm wondering rather that's ok or should I trim the silk back so it won't go over the bridge saddle? #-o

Thanks in adavance, Faded...

Generally speaking, the wrapped ends above the ball should not break over the saddle.

Where'd you get the flat wounds? Brand?

also Generally speaking, flat wounds are made for arch-tops which may, by design have a longer distance between where the ball anchors and the saddle(s). That might explain why the necked down portion of the strings are breaking over the saddle.

I've seen flat wounds for flat-top acoustics.. I'll see If I can remember where they were sold.

One could, possibly, shorten up the necked down section by moving the ball up... but that operation sounds dangerous (to the usability of the string).

I knew I'd seen them:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/serselect.asp?tCat=7&tMan=15&dMan=D%27Addario

That's a direct link to the D'Addario page. Scroll down to Flat Tops. They are offered in the 'Acoustic Guitar' section, not the "Electric Guitar" section. That might be what you're looking for. It doesn't specifically say "Flat Wound", but may be have the feel you are looking for.

Check the other manufacurers as well on this site. They may have flat wounds too.

I've never tried them, but have always intended to. Maybe next string change. #-o

Hi -

I presently have D"Addario Chrome Flat Wound strings (http://store.daddario.com/category/144875?language_id=1&currency_id=1) on my Epi. DR-500M acoustic; they are not silk-wrapped above the ball end. From the link, you will also see that D'Addario makes stainless steel "Half-Rounds" - I don't believe they are silk-wrapped. Also, Fender (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0730050002) has stainless flat wounds that you may consider.

I personally have come to enjoy flat wounds on my acoustic - ease to play and I really like that Beatle-acoustic "thumping" sound on the low strings. I intend to keep experimenting with other brands of flat wounds, and "half-rounds", too. The Pyramid brand is reportedly what the Beatles used on their Gibson J160's - a bit $$$$$ for my budget.

Regards

AbyRdMn,

Pyramid Electric Flatwounds 11-49 is what I was having the wrap problem with. The length of string between the pin and the saddlle is only about 3/8". The Pyramid strings are wrapped up about 3/4" above the ball. I had to remove about half the wrap on the low E string, so the wrapping didn't overlap the saddle. The bridge saddle is angled, so the other strings worked without trimming. Expensive, YES!! $24.00 a set, but I had to try them or else I'd always wonder about them. They did was knock the treble response down. I haven't plugged it in yet. Tomorrow when I have the house to myself, I will. I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks, Faded...

TK' date='

Sorry, I should have mention these are electric strings, not acoustic.

Faded...[/quote']

That is as I suspected. Since it seems you've got these working, it's all good. If you don't like 'em, try the flat wounds at stringsbymail. They appear to be made for flat top boxes. Good luck.

Archived