Gibson Brands Forums

56 RI Goldtop, now with Pictures!

stumblinman

Why anyone would want to go from the standard Grover 18:1 ratio tuners to those Keystone 14:1 ratio tuners is beyond me. Sure they're a nice vintage style, but until they start making them with an 18:1 ratio at least, I'll stick with the standard grovers.

Still, it's a matter of opinion really.

I considered picking up a set of those keystones. Are they an exact match for grover screw holes? I still need to take some pics today' date=' daughter has a dance recital, so camera is already packed up to go.[/quote']

They dropped right in (10 mm hole). I had to drill 12 holes in the back of the headstock, the bottom hole didn't quite line up. The back cover didn't quite cover the bottom hole completely, but it did about 90% of the hole. Below is a pic from my G-400 that I did too. It's hard to see from this pic.

And why Green Keystones? Cause they look cool. Yeah, I guess I am vain.

SG002-1.jpg

I did the same to another G-400, with the GFS version, they installed more like Klusons. I did need to get the larger bushings for these, but they were still cheaper than the Grovers. The bottom holes on the back of these tuners matched up perfectly so I only needed to drill 6 holes. As you can see the pegs stick out a little further than the Grovers. I like the feel of the Grovers better, but I didn't want to stick too much into this project guitar, so these fit the bill.

Fixednet1.jpg

Here's mine. I bought it on sale last year for $399 from MF before the prices went up. It's an EE.

webP7240143.jpg

webP7240144.jpg

By the way, to copy a direct image post from Photobucket, click on IMG and then go back to the post you are creating and do a CTRL-V or a right click and PASTE.

Frank, now that you say that, he did say something about Social Distortion when I talked to him, but I wasn't listening, I was messing with the guitar hehe.. So that would make sense. Thanks for the clarification, and welcome back!

Archived