Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar (not quite yet)

Order the

epi ultra 2 me, via internet. Apparently the order was not registered due to a technical problem?

So I returned an email to order via the phone tommorrow.

I'm still not 100% sure

I want the the epi ultra 2 midnight ebony (nano mag) mainly because of the versatility due to the extra pick up -I like such a range of music- and the sound samples sound great on the net.

However I like the epi custom classic ant (limited edition), I think this is a bit more "classic" hence the name. I like it mainly for cosmetic reasons, the pick up configeration is normal Gibson, so many good guitarists have managed with out the nano mag.

Any views, tommorrow I will replace the order, Still think I will go for the ultra 2, still a lovely looking guitar.

I don't know if I want to mod the nano mag pick ups etc.- If it will be more complicated because of the intergration of the nanomag.

The picture paruwi6172 displays is the one,- custom classic ant (limited edition ) as described on the website.

I have seen one briefly and I do like it, yes the binding is an off white - not illustrated on the gibson website. I liked the gibson les paul when I was a school boy- (having something described as a CLassic, and a custom , and a limited edition is appealing- although I supose it is not actually any off the those things being a replica-)

I like the basic stripped down look of the custom classic ant,

Although I do not what to compromise on sound (yes I know several famous guitarists made amazing music with this pick up arrangement, But several others use different guitars, and I listern/try to play lots of different catagories of music.

(I think listerning to the nano mag on line, it does cross the sound of gibson/epiphone les paul boundary into different areas - So I think I will order the ultra 2 today, remove the pick gaurd and expose the pick ups. I know the gold is part of the styling (looks a bit bling to me) I wish they did chrome as an option on the me version, I thing the gold looks better on the cherry sun burst version.

I think unless the gibsons

start putting nano mag on everything this ultra 2 might never really be a classic type.

Still music is about sound. What good is it having a guitar that looks nice with a fake heratige name if it cant do everything required? not that there is anything wrong with the normal configeration- perhaps even the opposite-

I like costmetic things to be a bit understated. Quality in the detailing.

A lot of the most classic guitars could have been failed models if they weren't played by the people that made them famous...

There are plenty of crappy guitars worth thousands because some talented people played great music on them instead of posting on guitar forums. It's what you make of it isn't it?

interesting- most not into the off white or was it a -shade of gold- binding

I thought you hard core epi guy's might be pure-ists, Thinking maybe the ultra 2 nano mag is not a realepiphone take of a gibson les paul type guitar- almost another model. Or the epi classic ant isnt a classic or antique because it's recent, and not limited edition caus it's for sale everywhere. MAYBE its not custom cause its got standard parts all over it (soon change that though)

I know the classic car boys, say certain astin martins aren't, astin martins because they aren't britsish for some querky reasons.

Know I'm gonna get if you like the sound of it, thats all that counts.

guten tag,

pete,

When I said modify nano mag - I meant the pickups,pots and caps. not the nano mag pick up.

I wondered if because the nano mag controls are wired in to the normal controls, altering resistance of the pots etc, would interfer with the nanomag pick up - or if it would enhance that also.

I know the ultra 2 already has an upgraded bridge pick up, but I may want to swap both the humber bucker pick ups?

Sorry

karl

interesting- most not into the off white or was it a -shade of gold- binding

I thought you hard core epi guy's might be pure-ists' date=' Thinking maybe the ultra 2 nano mag is not a realepiphone take of a gibson les paul type guitar- almost another model. Or the epi classic ant isnt a classic or antique because it's recent, and not limited edition caus it's for sale everywhere. MAYBE its not custom cause its got standard parts all over it (soon change that though)

I know the classic car boys, say certain astin martins aren't, astin martins because they aren't britsish for some querky reasons.

Know I'm gonna get if you like the sound of it, thats all that counts. [/quote']

I've got an ebony ultra-II about 6-7 months ago, I'm still finding new sounds, the variability it provides is amazing, no regrets at all.

With the following exception; the circut board in the cavity that houses the pots and god knows what else, so swapping pots or trying to tweak the electrics isn't possible or very difficult.

But as I said, it gives a whole range of different sound possibilities anyway, so this propably isn't a huge issue.

The ultra-II is a really unique setup where as the SG is such a common setup, so it depends if you want something a bit out of the ordinary or something run of the mill.

Archived