Gibson Brands Forums

Best wah ever?

antwhi2001

In my experience it's the Area 51 crybaby mod. I bought their basic drop-in kit with power socket option, used it for a gig for the first time last weekend. Beautiful. Great classic wah voicing, no noise, built to last. It's the most expensive pedal I've ever bought but at last I've got a wah that really sounds like 60s Clapton, Hendrix etc.

In the past I've used Vox, Jennings, Dunlop and have either been dissappointed with the tonal range or annoyed by background hiss and noisy switches. 2 recent Dunlops have failed on me in the last 2 years. I even tried the Boss modelling wah, PW10. That was a good wah pedal but too much functionality for me for gigging (built-in flanger and O/D but tricky to programme and switch between modes).

Any one got any experiences with other "boutique" wahs?

A guy I know uses a Budda Wah. He's on their artist endorser page, to boot! (Rob Basso, The Jabbers)

Sounds real good. He's a gear whore, and he loves it.

Here's what they say about their pedal:

The Budda wah is hands down one of the finest wah pedals ever made. At bass settings (heel cocked back), the tone is thick and honky without losing clarity of the note. Fully depressed, the highs have been rolled off to a frequency that isn't piercing like many wahs. The overall tone sweep concentrates on a tight and focused range with outstanding vocal like quality. We've incorporated a hard wire bypass so that the effect is completely out of the circuit when switched off. This allows your signal path to remain pure and in no way compromised like vintage style wahs. Our custom coil inductor is a modern and enhanced version of the original Italian Fazel inductor found in the 60's Cry Baby pedal. This enhances the voice like effect of the pedal and is the mojo behind our signature sound. Add a full ground plane board for noiseless operation and a newly designed beefed up switch and you will see why many of today's top professionals rely on Budda for their signature sound.

Artists and Producer friends of the Bud-Wah:

Dave Navarro, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Marc Ribot, Tim Mahoney- 311, Bernie Worrell- Parliament Funkadelic.

Wahs are really a personal taste. I have had several and have settled in on the Vox V-848 Clyde McCoy. I owned a Buddah Bud Wah and it was a very good pedal. The reason I decided on the Clyde McCoy is because it has a wider sweep. I like getting a wah to open up to a nasally sound at the top of the sweep and I wasn't able to get that out of the Buddah. It is still a very good wah. I can get that out of the Clyde McCoy. Some people don't like the top end I do, and for them the Buddah is a great wah.

i've only ever had 1. it is a dunlop original i got for £10 in the eighties. the switch kept breaking every other week and it stopped working when i tried to rewire it in the early 90's. it's here somewhere and it might be a good time to mod it! i never was too impressed with it as it was. too much movement not enough tone.

Archived